Safety Comms Issue

alexmorrish

Hello All,

I am currently commissioning a unit that has communication to some existing PLCs. I was having an issue with a safety produce/consume tag's status and have traced it to a comms issue.

My new system is a 1756-L81ES GuardLogix 5580 Safety Controller.
Connecting to the old PLC through the onboard ethernet port.
The old system is a 1756-L72S GuardLogix 5570 Safety Controller.
Connecting to my new PLC through a 1756-ENBT.
This connection does go through a large network, unavoidable.

The comms issue comes about every 15-30min and because it has to do with safety E-Stops it stops my entire system. The comms loss persists for about 5-15sec before reestablishing the connection.

Looking from my new system, I can see that the old PLC's ENBT card's GSV continues with 16#4000 Running.
The GSV of the Safety PLC of the old system changes to 16#5000 Shutting Down ( The Module object is in the process of shutting down all connections to the module).

I have not seen this issue before and am unsure how to solve proceed.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Alex

Hello All,

I am currently commissioning a unit that has communication to some existing PLCs. I was having an issue with a safety produce/consume tag's status and have traced it to a comms issue.

My new system is a 1756-L81ES GuardLogix 5580 Safety Controller.
Connecting to the old PLC through the onboard ethernet port.
The old system is a 1756-L72S GuardLogix 5570 Safety Controller.
Connecting to my new PLC through a 1756-ENBT.
This connection does go through a large network, unavoidable.

The comms issue comes about every 15-30min and because it has to do with safety E-Stops it stops my entire system. The comms loss persists for about 5-15sec before reestablishing the connection.

Looking from my new system, I can see that the old PLC's ENBT card's GSV continues with 16#4000 Running.
The GSV of the Safety PLC of the old system changes to 16#5000 Shutting Down ( The Module object is in the process of shutting down all connections to the module).

I have not seen this issue before and am unsure how to solve proceed.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Alex

This sounds like an older version of the firmware on the ENBT that is having issues with the newer L83S onboard ethernet firmware. Check the firmware versions and make sure that they are compatible.

Rockwell has a compatibility matrix available that will let you know which versions of Logix firmware are compatible with the various versions of ethernet firmware.

Good luck!