You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old July 21st, 2021, 10:47 AM   #1
Steven01
Czech_Republic

Two PI controllers control the same process variable

Hello,

Let's say I have two PI controllers which control the same process variable y. The first PI controller (PI_1) uses action variable u_1 and the second one (PI_2) uses action variable u_2.

I would like to achieve a state when at first only the PI_1 influences the controlled variable y. In case the PI_1 alone is able to achieve y = y_set_point the PI_2 doesn't influence y. The PI_2 starts influence y (starts "helping" the PI_1) only in case the PI_1 alone isn't able to achieve y = y_set_point.

I have looked for some suitable control structure in the literature but it seems to me that neither the selector control nor the split range control are useful for my situation. Does anybody know a suitable control structure for my case?
Old July 21st, 2021, 11:13 AM   #2
drbitboy
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven01 View Post
in case the PI_1 alone isn't able to achieve y = y_set_point.
Does this case happen because the PI_1 output runs out of capacity e.g. the output valve position is full open (or closed), or the output signal reaches 100% (or 0%)?

That is, what is the detectable condition that occurs when "PI_1 isn't able to achieve y = y_set_setpoint?"

Finally, why is split-range control not useful for this situation?

Last edited by drbitboy; July 21st, 2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old July 21st, 2021, 12:28 PM   #3
Mickey
United States

A little more info. What is the process/ Temperature ,pressure,flow...

What are u_1 and u_2 (are theses valves or what?)

Can you describe the process better?

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old July 21st, 2021, 01:15 PM   #4
Steven01
Czech_Republic

The process variable y is the current of the three phase grid generated by the grid forming inverter. The u_1 is the magnitude of the grid voltage and u_2 is the frequency of the grid.
Old July 21st, 2021, 01:29 PM   #5
Steven01
Czech_Republic

I am sorry. The statement "PI_1 isn't able to achieve y = y_set_setpoint" is probably a little bit misleading. Better speaking PI_1 is in saturation and this condition takes place for a "long" time. In these circumstances the PI_2 should start "helping" the PI_1.
Old July 21st, 2021, 03:01 PM   #6
drbitboy
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven01 View Post
I am sorry. The statement "PI_1 isn't able to achieve y = y_set_setpoint" is probably a little bit misleading. Better speaking PI_1 is in saturation and this condition takes place for a "long" time. In these circumstances the PI_2 should start "helping" the PI_1.
And the difference between that desired behavior and split-range control, is the intent to have the PI_1 in saturation for that "long" time before PI_2 acts?

And presumably PI_2 should be in a "de-saturated" state for another "long" time before switching back to control from PI_1?

If that is the case, logic to watch PI_1 output to detect PI_1 saturation and measure its duration, and eventually disable PI_1 and enable PI_2, should be fairly straightforward to implement, as should be the reverse case. E.g.

Code:
VAR
    PI_1_TON: TON;
END_VAR
PI_1_TON(IN := PI_1_TON.Q OR PI_1.PV > PI_1.Setpoint) AND PI_1.Output=100
        ,PT := Long_time
        );
and then, when PI_1_TON.Q is 1, set PI_1 to Manual and PI_2 to Auto.

Similar logic for detecting a de-saturated PI_2 will reset/clear the PI_1_TON to set PI_1 to Auto and PI_2 to manual.

You may also have to fiddle with and/or think about bumpless transitions, reset windup, etc.

I still think split-range, perhaps with a negative overlap, would implement an equivalent result.

Last edited by drbitboy; July 21st, 2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old July 21st, 2021, 04:48 PM   #7
Peter Nachtwey
United States

This should be easy. Don't enable PI_2 until PI_1 is saturated.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum