You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:07 AM   #1
Jim G.
United States

OT- Equipment feed

We have a new line being added in one of our facilities. In our switch gear, we have a spare 400A breaker which we were going to use to feed power to the line. The OEM spec's state they only need a 125A feed. Which would be the better approach? Replace the 400A breaker with a 125A or feed a sub-panel with 400A service and install a 125A breaker in that panel?
Is this a matter of opinion or are there some NEC guidelines to consider?

Thanks
Old July 22nd, 2021, 11:22 AM   #2
roxusa
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Personally and from experience I would go the sub panel route. I have ran 400 and 200 amp sub panels for all our new lines. Not knowing what all your lines consist of but mine they are always wanting to add some other little piece to the puzzle and I have a sub panel to add more.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 06:57 AM   #3
forqnc
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxusa View Post
Personally and from experience I would go the sub panel route. I have ran 400 and 200 amp sub panels for all our new lines. Not knowing what all your lines consist of but mine they are always wanting to add some other little piece to the puzzle and I have a sub panel to add more.
+1
After a new line is installed and improvements start coming, having the extra power will come in handy.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 11:06 AM   #4
Jim G.
United States

Thanks for the input.

Will go with a sub-panel installation for the convenience of "while you're at it, can you add this?"
Old July 23rd, 2021, 01:05 PM   #5
mylespetro
Supporting Member
Canada

I agree with roxusa, it'll cost more upfront but it'll save money down the line when (not if) things need to be added.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum