You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:06 AM   #16
OWEN.DAVID
Spain

Yes, perhaps.

I would need to look closely at the compatibility of the 5380 series with the existing point IO and local rack modules.

However, my interest now turns to finding a robust hardware solution for running either python or C scripts to re-broadcast the packets in smaller chunks or using pylogix and writing to the controller tags directly via CIP.

I've contacted Anybus and Prosoft and neither offers a module that natively handles raw UDP packet data.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:41 AM   #17
Contr_Conn
United States

5380 (v32 that I have) works:
Test:
- 600 bytes sent by the peer,
- requested 800 bytes
- read MSG (unconnected) done bit is set with 600 byte payload.

5380 does not use local Point I/O, it uses 5069 I/O.

Can't help with an external solution if you prefer to go that way.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 11:00 AM   #18
OWEN.DAVID
Spain

Thanks for testing the 5380 and confirming this.

Migrating from the 5370 to 5380 series is a non-starter due to the significant cost and very moderate benefit - the UDP data is not system critical - nice to have but certainly not essential.

Are there any other hardware module / gateway companies to look at other that ProSoft or Anybus? I'm not sure if the request or raw UDP packets is too trivial and has been overlooked in favour of the established protocols.

Otherwise, I'd like to avoid depending on a windows PC for the link. So will likely forge on with finding robust hardware for the opensource software.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 11:14 AM   #19
Contr_Conn
United States

You may try MicroLogix 1400 or Micro 800 that supports sockets, as a bridge to CIP, but I am not sure about large connection support. Can't help with that, just an idea to look at.

Last edited by Contr_Conn; July 22nd, 2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:19 PM   #20
dmroeder
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWEN.DAVID View Post
Otherwise, I'd like to avoid depending on a windows PC for the link. So will likely forge on with finding robust hardware for the opensource software.
Check out Kunbus:

https://revolution.kunbus.com/

We have one here at the office we've goofed with.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:46 PM   #21
OWEN.DAVID
Spain

Very interesting - just what I had in mind.

Would I need to make enquiries about this being able to run the latest python version and any libraries? Or is it a given for the hardware?

I have a pretty interesting use case combining data from the UDP blackbox and PLC in a data historian written in python. Are you familiar with the CAKE Historian platform from CCI?
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:53 PM   #22
dmroeder
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWEN.DAVID View Post
Very interesting - just what I had in mind.

Would I need to make enquiries about this being able to run the latest python version and any libraries? Or is it a given for the hardware?
It runs a current version of Raspbian (Buster I believe) with the RT kernel patch. So you can run whatever version of python on it you want. You can run whatever software you want that is supported for the Raspberry Pi (ARM).
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum