PanelView 550 Allen Bradley

Frelecing

Hi everyone:

I started working in a cement works factory some months ago.

In the warehouse I found a box that said Allen Bradley on it so I looked inside and what I found was a brand new, closed Panelview PV550. I asked around but nobody knows what it was bought for, nor when, nor what it can be used for! Chances are that it came 10 years ago when a new section of the company was made, but was never installed and just was stored there until I came...

Anyway, my boss gave me freedom to explore whith it and that's why I'm writing here...
I don't know what it can be used for, what kind of application is it good for, I assume some kind of basic SCADA, am I wrong?

There's a whole section of the production line, the "pallet maker" (don't know how is it called in english) that has no SCADA, so I was thinking about using it there. The process is controlled by a SLC 5/03 PLC so my questions are:

What software do I need to program the PV? (I have Panel Builder 2.50 installed in my PC, and maybe I can get RSView (but I don't know if that software is for this))
How do I connect the PV to the PC (for programming) and to the PLC ? Can I use the same cable? What is it's name? Can it be done manually?

And overall, is it worth to spend time on doing this? I don't know how hard it can be to understand the process and learn how to use/program this device as I have no experience at all with this kind of stuff (and there's noone here in the company to help me with it!)

So, thanks for your time to answer my questions! I'll be asking a lot more if I get to use it!

Panel Builder 32 is the software used to program those.

What is the exact part number of the PanelView? This will tell us the communications protocol and if it can communicate to the 5/03.

is it worth to spend time on doing this?

yes, it is worth your time ... since your company already has the PanelView, they probably also have the PanelBuilder software available - and probably the cables you'll need also ...

plan of attack:

get everything hooked up and "talking" - and then make a couple of simple "screens" for the PanelView ... on each screen, program a simple button to switch to the OTHER screen ... and on each screen also program a button to toggle a spare bit inside the SLC ... download this "trial" program to the PanelView ...

once you've got that "basic" part working, you'll quickly find many more uses for your new toy ...

tip: don't worry about "alignment" and anything "artistic" until you see how to make the system "work" ... you can always go back and tidy things up ...

in simplest terms, the PanelView doesn't really "control" anything ... it's just a substitute for a bunch of "buttons" and "switches" and "indicators" - the same type of stuff that you'd expect to see on a "real" operator's control panel ... these buttons, and switches, and indicators can all be programmed to appear on various "screens" - and can be used to control - or be controlled by - the SLC processor ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I really want to use this PV now, mostly to learn something new.

But, it seems that the cables didn't come with the PV or at least we can't find them, so I should buy them.

One thing that is not yet clear to me is the PanelView purpose. Why would someone install one of these when everything is running ok, and there's almost no interaction between process and operator? I'm asking that, because it will be hard to justify the purchase of the cables, and the time I will spend on this.

Does the PV only work as a control panel, or can it show you some kind of diagram, and the stage of the process, or something like that? Thanks again for your time to answer.

Frelecing said:
...it seems that the cables didn't come with the PV or at least we can't find them, so I should buy them.
Why would someone install one of these when everything is running ok, and there's almost no interaction between process and operator? I'm asking that, because it will be hard to justify the purchase of the cables, and the time I will spend on this.

Cables are cheap. Panelbuilder32 isn't (cat# 2711-ND3, retail $376). If you already have the software, then make/buy some cables. If you don't already have the software, you should consider a Red Lion G3 for your HMI. It will run circles around the PV550, and its software is free. It will also be able to communicate with nearly anything, so you won't be stuck with a DH485 specific HMI. Their bottom end G304K Kadet is $399 retail.

Frelecing said:
One thing that is not yet clear to me is the PanelView purpose.
Does the PV only work as a control panel, or can it show you some kind of diagram, and the stage of the process, or something like that? Thanks again for your time to answer.

You can put text and graphics on the screen to illustrate the process. The HMI will read addresses in the PLC in order to control the properties of the items on its screens.

You can display process variables, alarm messages, and status information from the SLC and from the process it is controlling.

You can add buttons to the screens to allow the operator to change the state of bits in the PLC (replace hardwired pushbuttons).

You can have numeric entry objects that allow the operator to change values related to the process (things like set points, speeds, timer presets).

Last edited:
Frelecing,

Since you are working in a cement works factory,
You should look into buying a copy of the national electric code NFPA 70, NFPA 79 electrical standard for industrial machinery, and NFPA 496 - standard for purged and pressurized enclosures.

I realize that these codes may not apply in your country, but
they are full of information in regards to how to design/build electrical systems.

In the US, the panelview terminals are rated for certain hazardous environments.

regards,
james