Electrical Enclosure Cable Entry Ideas

keshik

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is a little off the PLC topic but hopefully within the wheelhouse of people here!

We have a client who has asked if on a future project they can use a wire brush cable entry system (into our control panels) instead of Roxtec or conduit. This will be for panels that are located inside a shipping container (not outside). There is a divider wall in the container that separates a process room from the electrical/control room. Currently individual cables leave the top of our enclosure through Roxtec and then enter the process room through additional Roxtec.

Their goal is to decrease the amount of time it takes to wire the panel at the skid builder.

Does anyone have ideas for ways that we can simplify (make faster/cheaper) this installation? Potential other ideas include remote I/O in the process room or more junction boxes in the process room with larger multi-conductor cables between the j-boxes and our control panels.

I have no idea what a "wire brush cable entry system" is.

To make quick work of panel installations, I have used Harting (and other brand) connectors like these:

https://www.harting.com/US/en/heavy-duty-electrical-connectors

It might add some time to build the panels with the mating connectors, but when it is time to install, you will get a lot of those hours back and maybe more.

I have no idea what a "wire brush cable entry system" is.

To make quick work of panel installations, I have used Harting (and other brand) connectors like these:

https://www.harting.com/US/en/heavy-duty-electrical-connectors

It might add some time to build the panels with the mating connectors, but when it is time to install, you will get a lot of those hours back and maybe more.

I assume the wire brush system is something like this:
https://www.icotek.com/en-us/products/brush-cable-pass-through

I can see why they'd want to use that if they prefer to terminate cables inside the enclosure. A patch panel on the door is a nice feature though.

I don't see how the brush system would form as tight a seal as the Roxtec, but I don't know if that's really critical in this application.

If you're using transit barriers (Roxtec) then I assume you need the sealant/weather proofing which you won't get with a brush entry system.

What are the IP/NEMA requirements of the installation?

We use the wire brush entry similiar to what bit_bucket_07 mentioned from icotek. You can buy foam to put in there as well to create some sort of dust barrier when you clamp the two sides.
As far as waterproof or anything like that; it is not. I like it and can understand their frustration with Roxtec. Sometimes they are a pain to put together.

I also use alot of poly cord grips too.

Thanks for the responses. The wire brush idea would be the Icotek link from Bit Bucket. Obviously it isn't a tightly sealing product, but it will be much cheaper to engineer, install, and wire. As an example, a current panel has 96 Roxtec glands over nine different rectangular blocks. It's a pain to keep track of that many cable diameters to make sure we have sufficient opening of each size. Additionally, this customer likes to change their cable types and is surprised when we charge them for it!

I believe the Roxtec was originally specified less for its sealing capabilities and more for its ability to handle a lot of cables with single cutouts in enclosures.

Has anyone used the membrane cable entry plates from Icotek? https://www.icotek.com/en-us/products/cable-entry-plates They look to be similar to the Roxtec but should install faster.

I appreciate all the responses so far!

I believe the Roxtec was originally specified less for its sealing capabilities and more for its ability to handle a lot of cables with single cutouts in enclosures.
I've seen Roxtec used to segregate hazardous from safe areas... so it's worth bearing that in mind too.

If there is no requirement for sealing, why would you use any transit system, rather than just run tray or trunking between the two compartments of the container?

Thanks for the responses. The wire brush idea would be the Icotek link from Bit Bucket. Obviously it isn't a tightly sealing product, but it will be much cheaper to engineer, install, and wire. As an example, a current panel has 96 Roxtec glands over nine different rectangular blocks. It's a pain to keep track of that many cable diameters to make sure we have sufficient opening of each size. Additionally, this customer likes to change their cable types and is surprised when we charge them for it!

Has anyone used the membrane cable entry plates from Icotek? https://www.icotek.com/en-us/products/cable-entry-plates They look to be similar to the Roxtec but should install faster.

Have you considered using stuffing glands? You could make up your own gland plate to mount on the wall between the MCC & Process rooms. This give you the flexibility to tailor the gland plate & glands to the specific number & diameters you require, whilst simplifying installation & maintaining IP integrity.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categories/cable-management-skin-top-stuffing-glands?ip_rating[]=IP68&diameter[]=20mm&diameter[]=32mm&diameter[]=40mm&diameter[]=12mm&diameter[]=63mm

If you have a cooling fan and a separate filter on the enclosure make sure fan is blowing into the cabinet and not out. That way you will not suck dust through the "wire brush" entry.
I have run into a lot of enclosures where the fans were set up to draw air though the filter and out through the fan, which sucks dust through any opening.

BITS_N_BYTES - thanks for the Weidmuller reference. I haven't heard of them before. It looks like they have some relevant options.

NetNathan - good note on the cooling fan as wall.

Used the Harting industrial connectors, this was used for quick tear down and movement of machine from OEM to customer. Usually mounted on top of enclosure.

If the brush connectors do not violate the nema type that your trying to keep the enclosure at a certain level then its ok. I would think you might get dust tight but that's all from a brush connector.