You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old July 28th, 2021, 11:05 AM   #1
bgarbus851
United States

Micrologix 1100 problem

Hi,

I'm new here and a total rookie at programming. I was running a program on a version 1100 A C controller. If I try running the same program on a version
1100 B FW 16 controller a few things happen. First I get a window on rslogix500 that asks do I want to change the data tables. I have tried both changing them and not changing them. As soon as I put the unit into run mode I get a fault 0187h.Obviously there is something different but I'm not sure what.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old July 28th, 2021, 11:12 AM   #2
drbitboy
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post the program i.e. the original, for (what I assume is) Micrologix 1100 Series A?

Did you do a search on either the forum or The Google for something like ["micrologix 1100" "series a" "series b"]?

See also the image below ([help menu] => [contents button] => [search tab] from RSLogix 500):

yyy.png

Last edited by drbitboy; July 28th, 2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old July 28th, 2021, 11:32 AM   #3
bgarbus851
United States

Hi,

Thanks, I uploaded the original program from the 1100 mA series and yes I searched here but I didnt find anything.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FWDA_TTR_REV1.zip (21.2 KB, 11 views)
Old July 28th, 2021, 12:31 PM   #4
Helliana
United States

What is the fault you get?
Old July 28th, 2021, 01:13 PM   #5
MikeyN
United States

What are the actual part numbers of the two different PLCs? It should look something like 1763-L16AWA. When you change the part #, you need to make sure the Base/Type is the same as the last three letters of the part number. I don't have a MicroLogix at hand, so I don't know if you can even download a program into a PLC with the wrong Base/Type.
Old July 28th, 2021, 01:21 PM   #6
bgarbus851
United States

Hi , the fault is 0187h
Old July 28th, 2021, 01:23 PM   #7
bgarbus851
United States

The numbers are 1763-L16BBB A C and
1763-L16BBB B 16
Old July 28th, 2021, 01:32 PM   #8
drbitboy
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helliana View Post
What is the fault you get?
0187h; cf. Post #1.

I think
  • The Series A 1100 has four expansion modules (three 1762-IQ16 and one 1762-OB16)
  • The Series A 1100 program is configured with those same four expansion modules.
  • The OP has not moved the physical expansion modules from the Series A 1100 to the Series B 1100,
  • So when OP changes the [Processor Type] in the [Controller Properties] menu to a Series B 1100,
    • and then tries to download that modified program to that Series B 1100
      • RSLogix 500 notices the difference in configuration between the program and the physical Series B 1100,
        • which causes RSLogix 500 to throw the error with the 0187h fault code.
The solution is probably one of the options listed in the Help file:
  1. Either correct the user program I/O configuration to match the actual configuration, or
  2. With power off, correct the actual I/O configuration to match the user program configuration.
I think only the second option will work here, because with the first option RSLogix 500 throws an error when verifying the project for the inputs and outputs that the program writes to that are no longer configured.
Old July 28th, 2021, 02:13 PM   #9
sharkyh2o
United States

3 things to try
Make sure plugs are secure at the controller and each I/O card
In I/O configuration, Read the I/O while in program and see if your card are showing up.
In I/O configuration, Highlight the processor and under Adv Config, Set Base/Type to Any Base.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg read.jpg (81.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Any Base.PNG (34.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by sharkyh2o; July 28th, 2021 at 02:16 PM.
Old July 28th, 2021, 02:38 PM   #10
sharkyh2o
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbitboy View Post
0187h; cf. Post #1.

I think
  • The Series A 1100 has four expansion modules (three 1762-IQ16 and one 1762-OB16)
  • The Series A 1100 program is configured with those same four expansion modules.
  • The OP has not moved the physical expansion modules from the Series A 1100 to the Series B 1100,
  • So when OP changes the [Processor Type] in the [Controller Properties] menu to a Series B 1100,
    • and then tries to download that modified program to that Series B 1100
      • RSLogix 500 notices the difference in configuration between the program and the physical Series B 1100,
        • which causes RSLogix 500 to throw the error with the 0187h fault code.
The solution is probably one of the options listed in the Help file:
  1. Either correct the user program I/O configuration to match the actual configuration, or
  2. With power off, correct the actual I/O configuration to match the user program configuration.
I think only the second option will work here, because with the first option RSLogix 500 throws an error when verifying the project for the inputs and outputs that the program writes to that are no longer configured.
If this is the case, And You do not have the Cards you must delete them and assign the Input and output addresses with a Binary address and and you should be able to test load the program until you have the propper cards. It will be easy to address them later. I attached a file for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Holding.zip (13.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by sharkyh2o; July 28th, 2021 at 02:46 PM.
Old July 28th, 2021, 04:08 PM   #11
drbitboy
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyh2o View Post
...I attached a file for you.
I was able do open @sharkyho's .RSS, convert it to Series B, download it my expansion-less MicroLogix 1100 Series B PLC, and switch that PLC to RUN mode without error.

The program has an input map and an output map, so it should be straightforward to convert to another hardware arrangement, with or without expansion modules. In fact, according to the cross reference, none of the inputs or outputs on the non-embedded, expansion modules are actually used or changed by the PLC outside the input and output map routines. Maybe the configuration is a holdover from another application with that Series A that used some of those expansion module I/O points.

Perhaps an external HMI is supposed to be writing to the L9:5/bit booleans used in the output map routine (some are not 0), but as far as I can tell,
  • the input map routine (program file LAD 3) could have all of the rungs that read inputs I:1, I:2, and I:3 removed (B3:1, B3:2, B3:3 for @sharkyho's version),
  • and the output map routine (program file LAD 4) could have all of the rungs that write O:4 removed (B3:4 for @sharkyho),
and the program would not run any differently.
Old July 28th, 2021, 04:24 PM   #12
sharkyh2o
United States

Just a note.
The other ET at our plant has never updated his 500 software so on all micrologic 1400 series B plcs I keep as series A, otherwise he cannot open the .rss file.
Old July 29th, 2021, 08:24 AM   #13
mylespetro
Supporting Member
Canada

Quote:
If this is the case, And You do not have the Cards you must delete them and assign the Input and output addresses with a Binary address and and you should be able to test load the program until you have the propper cards. It will be easy to address them later. I attached a file for you.
Not saying this is better, and I haven't actually tested it yet, but isn't it possible to go into the Advanced Config for each card and check the "Ignore Configuration Error" box in order to bench test the program with just the processor? I may be misunderstanding the issue at hand, but I have seen people mention this for testing a program (at the office for example) when you only have a processor and not the correct I/O cards. Screenshot attached. Note you have to check this box for each card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MicroLogix1100 IO Advanced Config.JPG (88.1 KB, 81 views)
Old July 29th, 2021, 10:12 AM   #14
sharkyh2o
United States

I prefer this method because I would rather toggle the bit for testing as opposed to forcing.
Old July 29th, 2021, 11:28 AM   #15
mylespetro
Supporting Member
Canada

Quote:
I prefer this method because I would rather toggle the bit for testing as opposed to forcing.
This is a good point, I would personally rather have the I/O configured and not have to re-add cards and change the addresses for the bits in exchange for forcing, but that's just my opinion. Forcing can be a pain since there's no keyboard shortcut for it to my knowledge.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum