1734 AENTR/C Network status fails

degoo

Hi, I'm new on plc's and after spending some time trying to fix this issue I'm almost giving up... need some help.

We have a ControlLogix 5555 (1756-L55/A, firmware 16.022) with a 1756 ENBT/A (Rev. 4.003) connected to 1734 AENTR.
Recently this 1734 AENTR broke and we bought a new 1734 AENTR/C (Rev. 6.012) and since we use the new one, changed the chassis size to 23 (it's using a Point I/O with 22 cards), the Point Bus flag is green but network status change from red to green alternativelly.

Also the status change to 'Connection Stablished' to 'Comm fault' in a cycle of three-four seconds in webserver.

The only errors I can see is about UDP packets and Close Errors and Conn Timeouts, any idea about how to fix, what to do?

Thanks a lot!

I did a compare on the ab site and they are compatable.
Does the firmware/eds selected match on the Module tab?
If not then redo your IO config tree for the proper module series.
This would either be an EDS more than likely since aops came out later I think? Someone correct me if wrong.
Go to Rockwell website or go to RSLinx and upload the eds from the device. Later versions of RSlinx has this feature, again not sure when that started.

If above is not the case, then bring up IE to see the card on your network, see if the percentage of utilization is below 50%. Anything above would be a problem. Do same for your Ethernet card on the CompactLogix rack.

Might just be a loose ethernet connection. Are your ethernet cables away from 480 and above? and do you use shielded ethernet cables?

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

network status change from red to green alternativelly.

Is the Module Status LED also alternating red/green ?

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1734-in590_-en-p.pdf

Generally the Network Status LED alternating red/green indicates a module self-test after power-up, but if you can get a response from the embedded Web Server, and it appears to be connecting then disconnecting, then the problem is a less common one.

Version 16.022 firmware for the CPU is about ten years old, so this could definitely be a firmware compatibility problem.

Rockwell has a "Product Compatibility and Download" website that you can use to find firmware and revision information.

My reading of the PCDC notes shows that RSLogix 5000 version 16 does not support the "Add On Profiles" for the 1734-AENTR Series C; the minimum supported version is v17.

The bad news is that you have a 1756-L55, not a 1756-L6x controller. Those controllers support a maximum firmware revision of v16.

So, I think you will need an older 1734-AENTR, or a newer CPU (and the matching RSLogix 5000 software).

See document 1734-RN025B-EN-E. 1756-ENBT firmware 4.006 or greater is required to use a 1734-AENTR/C. I would go all the way to firmware 6.006 on the ENBT as it seems the most stable.

A good point on those release notes, thank you !

Start at the RA Literature Library website and use 1734-RN025 to find that specific document.

Or a direct link: 1734-AENTR Release Notes (2019).

Those give us more detail and a better outlook, because they say that the existing Add-On Profiles for the 1734-AENTR can be used with Version 16 CPU firmware and RSLogix 5000 V16 if you set it for "Compatible Module" keying.

So a simple firmware upgrade of the 1756-ENBT may be enough to get this system working !

You said you are new with PLC's, so I will go right back to the basics.

Did you set your chassis size in the module as shown in the picture?

Right click the AENTR and go to properties, then set the chassis size.

Cheers

Mark

Chassis Size.png

Oh! didn't realize 4.003 may be not compatible with 1734 AENTR/C version..

Lot of thanks!!!!! I'm going to try to update 1756 to 6.006 firmware and let you know.

You said you are new with PLC's, so I will go right back to the basics.

Did you set your chassis size in the module as shown in the picture?

Right click the AENTR and go to properties, then set the chassis size.

Cheers

Mark

Yes, that was the first issue, Point Bus led in red.. after searching for a while discovered the chassis size, changed from 1 to 23 and then point bus led changed to green.

After that, noticed the network status led changing from green to red and back to green in cycle.

Thanks!!

Confirmed. 1756 firmare updated and all issues fixes. No more network status errors and machine working perfectly.

Tons of thanks!!!!!!!!!