Derating a Powerflex 70 25hp

G_man62

I am working at a company doing an install and they want to use a 25hp Powerflex 70 on a 2 hp agitator. I was wondering 1 if this is even feasible and 2 how low can I even take this down?

Why?? Sell the 25 HP drive and buy 4, 2 HP drives. It doesn't make sense. It could be a fun experiment though to twist a motor shaft apart.

Yeah, no. I'm ok with maybe 4x oversize. 12x oversize is giving up too much resolution in the drive's current sensing circuits.

Rule of thumb is only use a motor that is greater than 50% of VSD rated current.

I've seen numbers as low as 30% of rated, but 50 is a good general rule.

I normally only see this where the designer is expecting to slow down really really fast, and needs the capacity of the oversized drive to do it.

I am working at a company doing an install and they want to use a 25hp Powerflex 70 on a 2 hp agitator. I was wondering 1 if this is even feasible and 2 how low can I even take this down?

We use 5 HP minimum because some of the VFD vendors have very small terminals on smaller VFDs. We have used 5 HP VFDs on 0.5 HP motors. The parameters for motor protection likely don't have great resolution that low - but the motor is a throw-away when it fails.

Besides being a bit of a waste ... I don't believe it is dangerous.

If you are running in vector mode instead of V/Hz ... the 25 HP VFD may not accept the measured values for the smaller motor as valid. I don't have that type of in-depth knowledge on the PF 70.