Trouble Connecting to PanelView 1000 via RS232

rupej

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions:

I'm trying to connect to an old PanelView 1000 Touchscreen model# 2711-T10C16L1 via RS-232.

I'm using a 9300-USBS USB/serial converter with a 1747-CP3 cable to go to the port labeled "RS-232 DF1" on the PanelView.

I've gone to the setup menu in the PanelView to verify the comms parameters, which are the defaults.

In RSLinx, I've configured a RS-232 DF1 Device, (Verified correct com port) and selceted "SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView" as the device type.

But in RSLinx, when browsing the DF1-DH-485 connection, the PanelView never appears, and thus I can't connect to it.

Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any advice!

I've never really understood why the PanelView group used a DCE pinout (which requires a straight-through cable), but they did.

I am not sure if the little icon appears in RS-Linx but try this:
Worked for me few weeks ago

Confirm the RS-Linx and PV com Port settings are the same
Attempt an upload or download with the PanelBuilder 32
In transfer type select:
DF1 Point-to-Point RSLinx AB_DF1-1

I use a DB9 Straight though cable BUT I may attach a Null Modem converter.
I can’t remember.

I attached a screen shot

PV3.jpg

AB Recommended Cable

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions:

I'm trying to connect to an old PanelView 1000 Touchscreen model# 2711-T10C16L1 via RS-232.

I'm using a 9300-USBS USB/serial converter with a 1747-CP3 cable to go to the port labeled "RS-232 DF1" on the PanelView.

I've gone to the setup menu in the PanelView to verify the comms parameters, which are the defaults.

In RSLinx, I've configured a RS-232 DF1 Device, (Verified correct com port) and selceted "SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView" as the device type.

But in RSLinx, when browsing the DF1-DH-485 connection, the PanelView never appears, and thus I can't connect to it.

Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any advice!

AB recommend cable for PanelView 1000 is 2711-NC13, I use it with a 9300-USBS Rev. 3.0. Never fails, just check what Com Port the 9300 is assigned to in your PC. Should be able to Auto-Configure in RSLinx. I had to verify working order for 1000 last week.

AB PanelViews are considered to be communication devices, DCE. Null Modem cables are used when both devices are either DCE or DTE, example: PC to PLC, both being DTE devices, needing crossover or Null Moden cable to communicate.

Last edited:
RSWho

One suggestion, in my opinion, I always told my maintenance guys to us RSWho to verify communication before trying to go online with any device unless they were sure of what they were doing. Can be a real time saver, and only takes a couple key strokes to check.