Remote access to Studio 5000 Emulate controller - v32

radfahrer

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just curious, has anyone had any luck with accessing a Studio 5000 Emulate virtual controller from a remote terminal using Studio 5000 (v32 all around)? Looking to have a centralized VM with Emulate on it that can host multiple development controllers with Studio 5000 sessions from other VM's/laptops in our office. I got tantalizingly close using the newer FactoryTalk Linx communication option in Studio 5000 - could browse to the Emulator VM, burrow down into the Emulator and see the virtual controller slot, but would timeout when trying to go online.

I tried using Linx classic with the TCP-1 Remote Gateway driver (could have sworn this worked for me in the past), but no luck there either...the driver would show up in the driver config, but would not show up in the RSWho browse on the local machine (weird behavior).

Curious if anyone else has tried this and had any luck. I have an open ticket with Rockwell on this...it's possible this is just not supported/possible, but their tech didn't dismiss it out of hand, and haven't heard back yet whether it is in fact possible or not.

What are you defining as a remote terminal? Is it on the same LAN or do you men from outside the office across the internet over a VPN and trough a firewall?

If it's on the same LAN the Virtual Backplane Driver should work no need for remote gateway driver and AFAIK that driver won't work properly on the emulator anyway.

Sounds like you have connectivity just an issue with speed/resources.

Does your VM have proper resources? That might be something to adjust and see.

It's on the same LAN. I thought Virtual backplane only exposed nodes to the local terminal. Are you saying there is a way to extend it to another terminal in a LAN? That's what I thought I needed the Remote Gateway for.

And is that the RSLinx Classic Backplane driver or is there a FTLinx one that I can use?

-Greg