You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old August 21st, 2020, 01:42 PM   #31
CNCFer
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulB View Post
What literature anybody recommends besides UL508A? Which chapters in UL508A will require more attention?

PaulB
Some answers are not in the standard or in the SA Supplement. You have to refer to them to get information from the tables. But you still have to know other things that are not in the documents provided by UL ... ie) Power, Amperage Voltage Calculations etc
Old August 21st, 2020, 07:19 PM   #32
chud
South Africa

theres so many of these test doing the rounds for the last few years, and 99% of them are idiotic. My favourite was one question that asked how far modbus tcp/ip cabling could communicate
a 10m
b 50m
c 100m
d to the moon

it turns out to the moon was not the correct answer because the person who created the exam obviously doesnt now what fibre or network switches are
Old August 21st, 2020, 09:49 PM   #33
plvlce
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
it turns out to the moon was not the correct answer because the person who created the exam obviously doesnt now what fibre or network switches are

I think there would be significant logistical issues in actually maintaining a cable connection from Earth to the moon.

Your point is well made, however -- if what is wanted is the distance for a single (copper) cable, that is what should be asked. 'Cabling' is ambiguous.
Old August 24th, 2020, 09:54 PM   #34
ndzied1
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

One of the people here that took the class recently had these from the class. I'm going to look them over.

I've never been to China but my phone has.
Old September 11th, 2020, 10:44 AM   #35
jharvell
United States

Deadline Extension & 508A Online Training

UL has created interactive courses to train on UL 508a.

Learning course code is: UL508ALearn.

Definitely worth checking out. It looks like completing this training resets your attempts on the MTR exam.
Old September 11th, 2020, 03:43 PM   #36
atc222
United States

Pretty clear admission that their initial test sucked!
Old September 21st, 2020, 02:31 PM   #37
d55ten
United States

Thank you for posting the PDF about the extension date. This is the first I have seen it.
Old September 29th, 2020, 05:17 PM   #38
justinr1978
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharvell View Post
UL has created interactive courses to train on UL 508a.

Learning course code is: UL508ALearn.

Definitely worth checking out. It looks like completing this training resets your attempts on the MTR exam.
Thanks for posting this document. I thought I'd have to rush and get this done tomorrow.
Old October 21st, 2020, 08:57 AM   #39
JerryC
United States

What if you are taking the test and your internet connection goes down for hours?
Old October 21st, 2020, 01:27 PM   #40
_Dock_
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
What if you are taking the test and your internet connection goes down for hours?
I would imagine you would be SOL... It explicitly says at the beginning of the test that you have 4 hours, in one sitting to complete the test, if you leave the test at anytime you have to retake.
Old December 30th, 2020, 05:32 PM   #41
MetsFan
United States

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am just getting started on studying for this exam. The guy who had taken the class and was to take the exam left the company so now it's on me.

Any advice on what materials to go over? My plan is to do the online course and read through the standard. Then I can take the test and see if I need to further review any items.
Old December 31st, 2020, 04:56 AM   #42
504bloke
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob... View Post
We build panels and ship them to the US. We still have to be inspected by a UL official.

Not that I think much of their standards or methods of working. They've got a monopoly on the market and they're screwing everyone for all its worth.
Which is what we should do with a lot of things..... yet we remain to bend over at every instance in this country

Dave

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old December 31st, 2020, 08:19 AM   #43
justinr1978
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I am just getting started on studying for this exam. The guy who had taken the class and was to take the exam left the company so now it's on me.

Any advice on what materials to go over? My plan is to do the online course and read through the standard. Then I can take the test and see if I need to further review any items.
I took the online course and skimmed through the standard, passed the test (88.8%) first time. UL508ALEARN is the enrollment key for the course. Good luck, and read the questions very thoroughly, some are tricky.
Old December 31st, 2020, 10:05 PM   #44
sparkie
United States

I just actually happened to be looking at what it takes to get a panel listed (not just UL but by any NRTL). So does this mean, say, if I build a custom one-off control panel that I'm supposed to pay them this ridiculous fee to come tell me it won't kill anyone? And, for UL, I have to pay 10k a year to make the panels, and I have to pass a test on their standard, and I have to pay like 5k just to get a panel inspected and listed?
Old January 7th, 2021, 02:34 PM   #45
LeoMarion
United States

thanks for the useful information, I am also preparing
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum