You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old September 20th, 2020, 08:53 PM   #1
AlfredoQuintero
Lifetime Supporting Member
Japan

How to "save as" a TwinCAT 3 project with a different name

Hello:

I want to have a TwinCAT 3 project saved with a different project name. I do not seem to get the option in the TcXaeShell. If I copy the project's folder to another folder, what is the rule to rename folder names and filenames so it is possible to open the renamed project without errors? Thanks

Last edited by AlfredoQuintero; September 20th, 2020 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Incorect spell of TcXaeShell in original post.
Old September 21st, 2020, 12:41 AM   #2
kalabdel
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredoQuintero View Post
Hello:

I want to have a TwinCAT 3 project saved with a different project name. I do not seem to get the option in the TcXaeShell. If I copy the project's folder to another folder, what is the rule to rename folder names and filenames so it is possible to open the renamed project without errors? Thanks

.gif doesn't work on this site so here's a link to an outside site.

So you have to select the solution (not the project) in order for the save as option to appear in the file menu. And you can rename a project by right clicking it and select rename.

Last edited by kalabdel; September 21st, 2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old September 21st, 2020, 07:03 AM   #3
LadderLogic
United States

... and it is a little bit too easy to mess up, when a solution in one folder still points to a project from another folder. This is not Beckhoff's trouble but rather Microsoft's.
Old September 21st, 2020, 08:13 AM   #4
AlfredoQuintero
Japan

Thanks very much. Will give it a try tomorrow.

Alfredo
Old September 21st, 2020, 10:56 PM   #5
AlfredoQuintero
Japan

Gentlemen, the procedure worked. Thanks very much for your advice. I would not have cracked this myself without your help. I wanted to have the very same program, instead for the Windows 7 Embedded PC (x86) as the original, working on a Windows 10 PC (x64), for which I do have a TwinCAT USB dongle. Did not want to build the program from scratch.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 12:46 AM   #6
kalabdel
Canada

Interestingly, you select File>New>Project which is saved with a .sln (solution). Then you right click on PLC and select Add new item>Standard PLC project which is saved as .plcproj but after it is created if you click on it and rename it, you get a warning about renaming an Application.

I guess they didn't like CodeSys naming convention enough to change it but not enough to do it right.
Old August 1st, 2021, 02:46 PM   #7
kalabdel
Canada

So I completely forgot how to save as and a google search led to this, only one problem, it didn't work. The solution has to be saved first before saving-as, meaning if there are changes that haven't yet been saved and you want to save the solution with those changes to a new solution, that will not work. And we're supposed to be the smart specie.

Another thing I wasn't aware of, building a solution automatically saves it. I have a habit of making changes for testing purpose, deleting and adding code or even entire blocks and simulating the project without them and then go back to original by simply reopening the solution, well, that doesn'twork with twincat 3.

Last edited by kalabdel; August 1st, 2021 at 02:51 PM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum