You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old July 28th, 2021, 08:45 AM   #1
nathan.slade
Australia

Changing from micrologix1100 to a 1200

Hi all. I have been give a job to remove an old plc and screen and change it to a newer AB unit like the machine sitting next to it. The problem I have is the newer unit has a ml1100 and they want to use a ml1200as we have 4 spares at the moment. I have gone into the program for the 1100 and change the processor to a 1200 but I get a warning scp instructions are only valid for ml1200 series c fun 6 or higher. Mine is a ser c fw 14. I have changed the series in the adv configuration but still no luck clearing the error. Any ideas out there?
Thanks for your input
Old July 28th, 2021, 09:24 AM   #2
pturmel
United States

The Micrologix 1200 and 1500 are an older and less capable design compared to the 1100 and 1400. You are going to have great difficulty.
Old July 28th, 2021, 10:06 AM   #3
drbitboy
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan.slade View Post
...I get a warning scp instructions are only valid for ml1200 series c fun 6 or higher. Mine is a ser c fw 14. I have changed the series in the adv configuration but still no luck clearing the error. Any ideas out there?
1) It appears that that does not make sense as you have described it. That said, I have found that processors do not care about what the manual says or what makes sense, they can only do what they are programmed to do, so believing a manual instead of the available software and trying to act as if your 1200 ser c fw 14 could somehow accept the SCP, when the software says it cannot, will probably be futile.

2) Is that an error or a warning?

2.1) Also, is it about SCP instructions in general, or is it about the data types, INT vs. REAL, of operands to the instruction?

2.3) If it's a warning, then perhaps it can be ignored cf. this thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=52165. It is straightforward to create a couple of test rungs to determine what will work.

3) If that does not work, I would suggest replacing the SCP instructions with a series of SUB/MUL/DIV instructions, using REAL operaands, that accomplish the same thing; see below.

3.1) Also note that the expressions [(y1-y0)/(x1-x0)] and [y0-(x0*(y1-y0)/(x1-x0))] can be replaced by constants that you can calculate outside the program, so the it will only take two instructions, a MULtiply and an ADD, to replace each SCP instruction.

yyy.png

Last edited by drbitboy; July 28th, 2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old July 28th, 2021, 10:37 AM   #4
nathan.slade
Australia

So after looking at the warning again there using float point operands and that's the problem. I'll look at that other thread. Thanks
Old July 28th, 2021, 11:01 AM   #5
drbitboy
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

The manual (click here) claims Floating-point data files are allowed for the SCP instrunction. Have you tried a one-rung test program to see if the warning can be ignored?

See also here: https://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showth...670#post844670

It seems the warning is only to remind you to check your firmware revision to ensure it can handle the floating point data file operands.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum