Heart beat signal

Definitely not for messaging, the PLCs need to be in RUN or Remote RUN.
I seem to recall being able to successfully send MSG read and MSG write instructions to Rockwell PLCs that are not in run mode. Am I remembering wrong?

I seem to recall being able to successfully send MSG read and MSG write instructions to Rockwell PLCs that are not in run mode. Am I remembering wrong?

The PLC executing the MSG obviously wouldn't be able to do anything if the PLC was in PGM mode, but the target PLC would respond regardless of what mode it is in. Communications takes place regardless, just no logic executes.

The PLC executing the MSG obviously wouldn't be able to do anything if the PLC was in PGM mode, but the target PLC would respond regardless of what mode it is in. Communications takes place regardless, just no logic executes.

Thanks, that's what I recalled. Just making sure that distinction is clear for anyone following the thread.

Yes, you can always READ and WRITE to another PLC, regardless of its RUN/PROG mode.

The heart-beat monitoring scenario I posted earlier works for ANY model of PLC, and is the simplest to implement.

This gave me the idea to test whether a controller’s Wallclock object remains active in any mode. If so, then controllers can just read each other’s elapsed milli/micro-second counters. I’ll see if I can conjure an answer from a Logix platform.

This gave me the idea to test whether a controller’s Wallclock object remains active in any mode. If so, then controllers can just read each other’s elapsed milli/micro-second counters. I’ll see if I can conjure an answer from a Logix platform.

I'm fairly certain that if you read a PLC's clock while in PGM mode, the value continues to change. Now if you try to retrieve the result of a GSV reading the clock, it will not change because it requires the GSV to execute to pull it from the controller.

The Wallclock is an OS task that is always active. The problem is that no-one else can read its data.

To date there is no way a third-party can see it - perhaps it will come...

The Wallclock is an OS task that is always active. The problem is that no-one else can read its data.

To date there is no way a third-party can see it - perhaps it will come...

Message the unit’s Wallclock object directly. It’s just a CIP object, after all.

The statement "PLC manufacturers don't have an inbuilt health status between networked PLC's in the config options." is not true.

Rockwell have connection status in controllogix platform in Prod/Cons. The older SLC use Message have message.ER bit, which in my opinion is sufficient.
Obviously, you can add additional check logic as needed.

Hmmm. PTP Time Sync object is documented. Not the same as the wall clock object, but much of its info is there.

If you are going to use a clock for the heartbeat function as I do it is important to have a command in the logic to move it to another register. That way it the register being read will only update if the logic is running.

If you are using Rockwell Produce/Consume tags, there's no need for a heartbeat.

Create a UDT for the data you want to transfer. Create as the very first element CONNECTION_STATUS of data type CONNECTION_STATUS, and then the rest the normal data (often DINT arrays and REAL arrays).

The PLCs will automatically handle setting the .RunMode and .ConnectionFailure bits, and the Consuming PLC can take the appropriate action.