RS Logix 5000 and Studio 5000 DVD

Tim Ganz

When i purchased boxed software in the past the RS Logix 5000 and Studio 5000 DVD had all versions on it and when you installed you could check a box and it would install all the versions.

All I see available to download on Rockwell's website is each individual version so that means installing them one at a time.

Is there anywhere to download a .iso of the latest installer disc on Rockwell's website? I didn't see anything.

Is there any other method to get the DVD? The software purchase at my current employer was the digital purchase where they send you the activation file by email so you don't get a disc.

I have to build out 4 new laptops and I don't want to install these one by one on 4 different laptops.

Even if you used a DVD to install "all previous revisions", it would still install them separately, sequentially, and each revision required some user intervention. Total PITA if you ask me. A "silent install" feature would be a huge bonus ....

For 4 new laptops, your best bet is to get one working as you want it to work, then clone it to the others, that's gonna save you tons of time. Of course this assumes your 4 laptops are identical ....

I agree on the DVD advice. It does not provide an automatic installer for the multi-versions it may include. So, perhaps, looking for physical disk media at all may be useless to your endeavours?

On silent installs...

Since Studio 5000 v30, silent install has been introduced. Prior to that the msi installer file is locked and we have no user access to its parameters. However, silent install just lets us install individual versions unattended. We cannot install several products simultaneously using this feature alone, even if all previous versions do support it.

ID: QA3363 | Access Levels: TechConnect
RSLogix 5000/ Studio 5000: Silent Installation

The command-line parameters for v30+ silent install are included in the second PDF attachment at the bottom of the above technote.

For multi-version installs, a separate IT tool or script would be required to sequentially execute each silent install. As it's not available for Studio 5000 prior to v30, or indeed the older RSLogix 5000 Enterprise versions, this is just informational and does not help your cause.

On physical disc media...

For a period they had stopped automatically providing the older RSLogix 5000 versions along with the latest when ordering disk media. However, at Studio 5000 v24 and above, they reintroduced the older versions as a separate DVD. Example: v12 - v20 or you may see v16 - 20, depending on intended OS.

I would contact your Rockwell vendor and have a chat about which versions you require on physical media if you do still feel you need it. You may also, as I'm sure you are aware, download all older versions of RSLogix 5000 (v7 - v20) through the Product Compatibility and Download Center (PCDC).

Unfortunately, it is still necessary to install each version one by one. The cloning option is definitely a good one if replicating four laptop machines.

Regards,
George

I am pretty sure our DVD with versions 12 through 20 will let you install them all with a single tickbox. They do install one by one sequentially and there are multiple reboots required (and usually an error or two) during the process. Same with the disc for versions 21 through 24.

The other problem we have had is that those DVDs don't always have the latest minor revision needed, so I have to go back and update some of them. This can also cause headaches if some obscure Windows package is now "too new" to work with the older installer.

Hi Paul,

That's interesting? That tick box feature to install all versions wasn't on the original RSLogix Enterprise DVDs? It would auto load the DVD and offer to install the latest version only. You then had to manually install the others off the disk. So if they've introduced that on the later versions of the DVD that would be very helpful.

Yes, I was going to mention to be careful with the minor versions but I chose not to go there. But definitely for v20.01 on the disk you should immediately go to v20.05 latest. I don't know if they bother burning updated DVDs as they go so you would receive the latest minor versions on newer disks. Any I've seen still have v20.01, for instance.

Good info, thanks. Always good to learn something new each day.

Regards,
George

From my OP and as OkiePC said the DVDs do have a tick box to install previous versions. I was ,making a statement on that not a question as I have done it many times that way at my previous employer.

At my previous employer under tech connect we would order a media refresh package which shipped with the latest physical media for all our purchased software titles.

My current employer does not have that large tech connect contract and since it was originally a digital purchase I am told it would not qualify for this.

I don't understand why the disc image .iso is not downloadable from Rockwell's site.

I also don't understand why they can't just make their new software back-compatible like every other decent piece of software on the market.

Other PLC software has their latest version back-compatible so why can the leader in the u.s. market not accomplish this especially for the prices they charge.

I don't understand why the disc image .iso is not downloadable from Rockwell's site.

I also don't understand why they can't just make their new software back-compatible like every other decent piece of software on the market.

Other PLC software has their latest version back-compatible so why can the leader in the u.s. market not accomplish this especially for the prices they charge.

My theory is that if it were a quick and painless download and install, you would say "That's it? I paid $5000 for that?".

By making it a PITA and giving you puzzles to solve along the way, they make you think, "Wow this is so complicated, that must be why it costs so much." and they satisfy the need for conflict we seem to have in our lives.

I think that is the magic behind the success of Microsoft Windows. They saw that modern man does not have enough struggle in his life and found a way to $ell it to us.

My theory is that if it were a quick and painless download and install, you would say "That's it? I paid $5000 for that?".

By making it a PITA and giving you puzzles to solve along the way, they make you think, "Wow this is so complicated, that must be why it costs so much." and they satisfy the need for conflict we seem to have in our lives.

I think that is the magic behind the success of Microsoft Windows. They saw that modern man does not have enough struggle in his life and found a way to $ell it to us.

I think you may be on to something there.

I have an old iso that I use on a new machine to install versions 10-15. But after that they were all one by one and took the greater part of two days to get to 31.