AB to mitsubishi

So i have done some more thorough digging.
It seems like the iQ-FX5U should be able to handle my mid sized projects. The only thing that scares me is the Ethernet IP module only supports 32 connections? Can anyone elaborate on that. Is it 32 nodes or 32 actual connections?

I have looked at the iQ-R and Q.
The iQ-R seems overkill for what im doing.
The Q they say is still being sold but an older model? The ethernet card of the Q is expensive.

I love the software prices so far.
I have checked the specification (page 21) of this EtherNet/IP scanner. Normally EtherNet/IP devices support at least one class 1 connection (implicit messaging or cyclic) and one Class 3 connection (explicit messaging). But it is possible for a device to support more than one class 1 connection. That is why the documentation refers to connections as opposed to EtherNet/IP nodes. So for the general case, this EtherNet/IP scanner will allow you to connect to up to 32 EtherNet/IP adapters.

But if you can find suitable CC-Link/IE Basic IO that can satisfy the project requirement then you can save even more because both the iQ-R and Q are CC-Link/IE Filed Basic masters, so without additional communication board you can have directly in the CPU the IO communication, HMI/SCADA communication and programming tool communication. The EtherNet/IP scanner requires a different engineering tool for configuration, whereas the CC-Link/IE Basic master is more tightly integrated in the GX Works environment.

As stated in an earlier post, the iQ-R offers longer availability and support horizon, as the Melsec Q series is based on very old SH (Super Hitachi) processors and at some point the manufacturer Renesas will have no choice but to discontinue this old semiconductor.

Last edited:
I am investigating implementing mitsubishi Plc/Hmi instead of allen bradley. If anyone has any input about my cross reference choice i would be really appreciative. I would like to get an apples to apples comparison. We have a good distributor that supports and has 6 mits engineers on staff. So support i think will be good if i need it.

My projects are relatvely small requiring compactlogix L24ER-QBFC1B and panelview 800 HMIs. I typically use at least 6 out of the 8 available EIP nodes.

I have asked for a quote on GOT2000 - GT2510-VTBD
Gtworks, GXworks, and a Q04UDEHCPU-EIP-K cpu with 8 slot main base.

Im sure the foot print is larger than my compactlogix with 3 expansion I/O cards.
Do they only have rack style I/O?

It seems they are limited on remote EIP capability, am i right?
Their slice IO read profibus and CClink?

Thanks for your valued time.

HAKKO - Fuji for HMI. You'll never look forward to going back to FTVME.

the big question is "What is in your plant now"?
if everything is ab, i'd stick with ab, even though it's expensive.
Maintenance won't have to learn new software, have a learning curve, or resist learning a new software package. it there are multiple brands, then ok, but there is a learning curve. Also, what is the corporate standard? get with engineering and maintenance first. I know of 2 engineers that went against corporate and bought ab instead of ge. they were almost fired and were told that the next ab plc that was installed, that would be their last day at the plant.
james

Hi james,
I do not work at a plant type facility we are a builder integrator.

If you work for an integrator then yes plump for one type, however, this may limit your customer base, most integrators need to be able to work on a wide range of platforms, often end users have their own preferred platform. In saying that, having a platform that is not quite as common in the states may open up opportunities where some companies will not or cannot afford the high costs of RW or Siemens, including the ongoing costs of support offered by them.

If you work for an integrator then yes plump for one type, however, this may limit your customer base, most integrators need to be able to work on a wide range of platforms, often end users have their own preferred platform. In saying that, having a platform that is not quite as common in the states may open up opportunities where some companies will not or cannot afford the high costs of RW or Siemens, including the ongoing costs of support offered by them.

Hi parky,
Yes right now we offer AB as the first option. We get very few requests for any others a few times omron and a few times siemens. I would like to offer mitsubishi as our first option and anything else as secondary. Of course we are not going to turn down a job because the customer does not want mitsubishi, but that doesn't stop me from pushing mits first over the other brand.

To be honest I don't blame you, I find Mitsi far less prone to having to update/flash & purchase yet another version of IDE. However, because RW have now set the precedence regarding extracting as much cash as it can from it's customers I wonder how long before some of the other major Mfgrs. do as well.

I have checked the specification (page 21) of this EtherNet/IP scanner. Normally EtherNet/IP devices support at least one class 1 connection (implicit messaging or cyclic) and one Class 3 connection (explicit messaging). But it is possible for a device to support more than one class 1 connection. That is why the documentation refers to connections as opposed to EtherNet/IP nodes. So for the general case, this EtherNet/IP scanner will allow you to connect to up to 32 EtherNet/IP adapters.

But if you can find suitable CC-Link/IE Basic IO that can satisfy the project requirement then you can save even more because both the iQ-R and Q are CC-Link/IE Filed Basic masters, so without additional communication board you can have directly in the CPU the IO communication, HMI/SCADA communication and programming tool communication. The EtherNet/IP scanner requires a different engineering tool for configuration, whereas the CC-Link/IE Basic master is more tightly integrated in the GX Works environment.

As stated in an earlier post, the iQ-R offers longer availability and support horizon, as the Melsec Q series is based on very old SH (Super Hitachi) processors and at some point the manufacturer Renesas will have no choice but to discontinue this old semiconductor.

Perfect thank you for the support.
I notice the IQ-F needs a CC link card just like the ethernet ip, so i wouldnt be saving much there. The only reason i wouldnt go with CC link is if my remote devices didn't offer CC link as a field bus option. Yaskawa robots, fanuc robots, fanuc cnc controls, turck modules ect. I have not checked yet.

iQF is very powerful and reliable. In fact it has 90% of iQR
advanced possibilities. I've done few jobs with Compactlogix and don't have to big experience with it, but for me iQF seems much stronger, especially with motion control and data acquisition. Both iQR and iQF are my preferred choice in last 4 years.

Thats good to hear!

One of the biggest issues with Mitsubishi is there lack of coverage on online forums like this. With Rockwell you can search for an issue on here and have an answer immediately - with Mitsubishi it’s a bit harder - but then their technical help from the suppliers is great, so you just have to use that route.

I would go with IQR PLCs as they are much more future proof than Q series, and have Ethernet IP cards if required to interface with Rockwell gear.

The CC Link IE comms system is very good and simple to configure.
Yes i thought that too.
I guess i willhave to lean on mitsubishi or the distributor or hopefully a few members on these sites.
I have been through this with Fanuc PLC that i use daily, not much support their and im doing just fine.
But yes i agree very important to consider, thanks fro the input.

Perfect thank you for the support.
I notice the IQ-F needs a CC link card just like the ethernet ip, so i wouldnt be saving much there. The only reason i wouldnt go with CC link is if my remote devices didn't offer CC link as a field bus option. Yaskawa robots, fanuc robots, fanuc cnc controls, turck modules ect. I have not checked yet.
Hi Bill. Yes of course it is very important to confirm the connectivity of the remote devices. One problem I find with the CC-Link technology is the confusing way they chose to make it. Please keep in mind the different technologies:
CC-Link (plain vanilla): Based on RS-485, requires master module
CC-Link/IE Field (Requires master module)
CC-Link/IE Control (basically for inter-PLC communication, with fiber optics, of course requires module)
CC-Link/IE TSN (new technology, requires mudule)
CC-Link/IE Basic. This one does not require a module as the PLC itself is CC-Link/IE Basic capable. If you can find CC-Link/IE basic remote IOs then you do not need an extra module. The CLPA website has a guide for available products. I can only see Mitsubishi Electric robots. CC-Link/IE Basic is a newer protocol so there may be less products to choose from than for CC-Link/IE Field.