Siemens Tia Portal V14 and V16

Sure Jesper will sort this out when he gets online
Actually, I am getting rusty when it comes to Siemens Floating Licenses. We use socalled "Master Licenses".

In theory yes....seeing that you can have floating licenses for multi site tia portals.....just not sure if a normal license can be used as floating license.
Arent all 'normal' TIA licenses floating licenses ?

I think that you can use a networked license going between a VM guest and host.
There is this FAQ:
How do you manage license keys stored on the server and operate the Automation License Manager as license server for VMware Workstation?
I havent tried this myself.

OK, so took the plunge, did a snapshot of the VM, in case of failure, then installed V14 sp1. Went fairly smoothly. Then I was able to back up the program from plc. Both versions seem to work fine without conflict on the same vm, even installing V14 after V16. Seem to throw some strange warning about the program being created by Wincc comfort V14, but after clicking the pink box to bypass the exception, got the code. Still looking into what this means, but one step at a time.