Ignition and Factorytalk

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
Would an installation of an ignition server coexist with Factorytalk View SE?

I have three controllogix systems all with their own SE HMI and on 3 separate networks.

I want to build a standalone mobile HMI to give forklift operators access to the machine condition so we reduce the number of operators from 3 to 1.

Ignition looks like the best software for mobile use, but I'd like to keep the Factorytalk View SE software at each kiln intact for making the majority of machine setup.

Will having two different HMI cause issues with the machine, especially if one of them is only for monitoring? There would only be one installation of Ignition to a separate server communicating via Ethernet.

Would an installation of an ignition server coexist with Factorytalk View SE?

Yes, so long as your CLX's have a couple spare connections available on the Ethernet card and there is overhead on the processor for additional comms it should work just fine. its a simple thing to set the devices to read only.
Ignitions Perspective takes a bit of work to learn as its very CSS orientated but its very good once you have. I'd recommend IA's university if you are not already enrolled.

Yes, so long as your CLX's have a couple spare connections available on the Ethernet card and there is overhead on the processor for additional comms it should work just fine. its a simple thing to set the devices to read only.
Ignitions Perspective takes a bit of work to learn as its very CSS orientated but its very good once you have. I'd recommend IA's university if you are not already enrolled.

Thanks. I'm working on completing those as we speak.

As Chris said above, no issues at all, but do not under any circumstances set up the Ignition Device to use more than the default (2) connections, in an environment with FTView SE, or PanelViews hanging off of the processor.

For the record, as I phase out ViewSE (and PanelViews) in favor of Ignition, there is no issue with the same devices being controlled by both platforms, as long as you are sticking to simple read/writes, and not using scripting (on either platform) for control functions.