SLC500 major error code 12h

unsaint33

Our machine stopped working due to the SLC-500 (1747-L40A) had CPU red fault LED on.

Major Error D:6=12h
Error Description: The ladder program has a memory error.

I cleared the fault but the fault returned whenever I tried to go online.

I downloaded the exact file to the SLC again and the CPU fault LED went away. And everything is good now. The file I used had been run on the same SLC500 for the last two months without a problem. There are four recipes and they were all alternated and used without a problem during the two months.

I searched online for a clue but could not find it.

Is the ladder program that is bad somehow?

Or is the memory module going bad?

Thank you

Check for poor grounding or electrical noise. There should be a big green wire from the chassis mounting bolt to a good ground in addition to the ground on the power supply.

I'd be inclined to have a spare power supply ready to go as well and as a last resort, a new or refurbished CPU. I think it is highly unlikely to be related to a problem with the ladder program...

I think that error just states that the area of memory that was corrupted contains the ladder files. There are many other codes that should be generated if you made a programming boo-boo.

I agree that the proximate cause is likely file corruption of some sort, not a programming error. As for root cause... any lighting strikes recently? As OkiePC stated, grounding/noise/power supply etc issues are possible as well.

Or is the memory module going bad?

We can't say one way or the other from the error that you reported, but you should verify that the copy of the program on the memory module is good -- depending on your autoload settings one possible scenario is that there was originally a different error that triggered an autoload from a corrupted memory module.

I cleared the fault but the fault returned whenever I tried to go online.
This particular error is a 'going-to-run' error, meaning it will only appear when the processor attempts to enter run mode. When you clear the fault the processor enters program (assuming you are in remote), it will then fault when you transition to run.