Siemens Tia Portal V14 and V16

marshjhm

Is it possible to install Siemens Tia Portal V14 on a machine that already has V16 installed? Or do I need to create a virtual machine to install the V14 on. I Need both versions because I have two plants that are using these different versions and their local people do not want me to convert them.

I have v13, v14, v 15.1 and v16 on the same Windows machine. But I installed them in that order. never tried installing an older version after a more recent one is installed.

Is it possible to install Siemens Tia Portal V14 on a machine that already has V16 installed? Or do I need to create a virtual machine to install the V14 on. I Need both versions because I have two plants that are using these different versions and their local people do not want me to convert them.

Save yourself the headache and install it on a separate VM and back them both up regularly.

Using a VM was my first thought, but how do I get the licensing to work? Will I need to move to a different licensing model, can I put the key on both machines, but only open one at a time? Still looks like I'm in the same quandary.

Yep
2 - VM's need 2 licenses
or you keep moving the license back and forth between VM's

Remember 1 V16 license works for V16 and V14

It's possible to install Automation License Manager on your host machine, and share over the "network" (the network would really be virtual).

Floating License means any computer on a network can use the license. In your case, only 1 VM at a time could use the license stored on the host machine.

Download for Automation License Manager for separate install:
https://support.industry.siemens.co...alm-tia-administrator-authors)?dti=0&lc=en-WW

Look at section 3.5 of this manual:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/102770153/automation-license-manager?dti=0&lc=en-DK

Yep
2 - VM's need 2 licenses
or you keep moving the license back and forth between VM's

Remember 1 V16 license works for V16 and V14

Could you not put the licence on the host and share that file location to each vm so basically share 1 licence, of course you could only use one VM at a time

In theory yes....seeing that you can have floating licenses for multi site tia portals.....just not sure if a normal license can be used as floating license...Sure Jesper will sort this out when he gets online

There should be no problem installing on the same VM. V13Sp2 to 16 all work on Windows 10. With this setup you can open multiple programs at a time from multiple versions.