Power Flex 700 HeatSink Overtemp Fault

lesmar96

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Day,
I do not use Power Flex much and I was called to troubleshoot one at a customer site. So if you have some advice I'd appreciate it.

They have a PF700. 240V 50/60HP. It continually trips out on HeatSink Overtemp. It is in a cool, pretty clean environment in the blower room at a WWTP and you can feel the internal fans blowing air out the top of the VFD.

yesterday it only ran about an hour before it tripped. I was unable to find in the menus what the temperature was at the time of the vfd fault.

Any advice on troubleshooting this fault? Is is possible the internal temp sensor is faulty?

Good Day,
I do not use Power Flex much and I was called to troubleshoot one at a customer site. So if you have some advice I'd appreciate it.

They have a PF700. 240V 50/60HP. It continually trips out on HeatSink Overtemp. It is in a cool, pretty clean environment in the blower room at a WWTP and you can feel the internal fans blowing air out the top of the VFD.

yesterday it only ran about an hour before it tripped. I was unable to find in the menus what the temperature was at the time of the vfd fault.

Any advice on troubleshooting this fault? Is is possible the internal temp sensor is faulty?

Hi Chapter 3 pp. 159 in the manual shows parameter 943 and Chapter 4 pp. 216 "Protective Main" Group. Hope this helps. I don't do much with these as far as messing with individual parameters, but I do have the manual.

Good Morning,
Sorry for my delay here. Can you send me a link to a manual where I could find the information you refer to. I can't find it online. Or can you send me a screenshot of the pages? Thanks.

Are all the fans working?
I've found that Powerflex drives quit pretty quickly with a fan failure, or dirt clogging the airflow passages.

There should be diagnostic entries for both IGBT temperature, and heat sink temperature.