vmware, studio, slow uploads

RonB

Host System: Windows 10 x64, 16GB of ram, I-7 2.30GHZ processor

Guest: Windows 10 x64, 8GB of ram, (tried processors set to 1, 2, 4, 8)

VM Settings; Currently, Processor Cores 1 (virtualize intel vt-x/ept or amd-v/rvi checked), HD 100GB, Network Bridged (automatic) only adapters needed are selected

1. Found a post that recommended modifying the VMX file with the following lines, but it didn't make much of a difference.

MemTrimRate = "0"
mainMem.useNamedFile = "FALSE"
sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE"
prefvmx.useRecommendedLockedMemSize = "TRUE"

2. I have also went through IE options and unchecked;
Check for server certificate revocation &
Check for Publisher's certificate revocation

Studio 5000 v32.11 Uploading from Controllogix L73 with a 1756-EN4TR module.

I have tried a direct USB connection. The first time uploading took approximately 20+ minutes to upload.

Uploading through a VPN took between 45-60 Minutes. (if it didn't fail)

Ping TTL= 57 and doesn't drop if I let it run continuously.

*if you know of any setting or any tips I am available for testing and don't mind messing it up a few times to make it better. At this point I have exhausted mrplc, reddit, rockwell forums, and google. Anyone out there having any luck?*

is there a speed issue if you use a PC that doesn't use VM? The ping looks very high.

I recently ran into a crazy issue involving Broadcom network card and Hyper-V VM. The network speed drops to a complete crawl and none of the workarounds I found on Google worked until I finally bite the bullet and swapped out the network card to Intel chip based card.

Running an Intel Wifi6 ax201.
Ping is a little high though I attributed it to the vpn.
Speed test on google. 35.8 Mbps download, 17.3 Megabits upload.

Sorry, had to edit as I realized that I didn't answer all of your questions.
-I have not run it without a VM, but at least two other technicians on-site did and there was no upload issue
Currently, running a test with different processor settings. I will post the results here when I'm finished.

Last edited:
I tried it with 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8 processors selected. At 1, 2, 4 the upload took approximately 20 minutes, but succeeded. At 6 and 8 it took the same amount of time, but through an error about the catalogue? Either way I couldn't tell a difference. I did try removing Adobe reader since I've seen other people complain that there can be issues there too. Still no difference. I'll keep posting updates until I tear this thing apart. :)

Friday Latest update. Trying different processor settings;
2 cores- Started 1:19- Finished upload at 1:47. Studio was frozen until 1:50
4 cores- Started 2:00- Finished upload at 2:22. Studio was frozen until 2:24
6 cores- Started 2:33- Finished upload at 2:55. Studio was frozen until (gave an error: routine changes made in controller cannot be correlated)
6 cores- Started 3:00- Finished upload at 3:20. Studio was frozen until (gave an error: routine changes made in controller cannot be correlated)
8 cores- Started 3:34- Finished upload at 3:57 . Studio was frozen until (gave an error: routine changes made in controller cannot be correlated)

(adobe reader removed) restarted. Monday
4 cores- Started 09:07- Finished upload at 9:37. Studio was frozen until 9:41.

Last update for the day.
restarted. 4 cores- Started 09:07- Finished upload at 9:37. Studio was frozen until 9:41.

changed target processor to l36erm. Started 10:13- Finished Upload at 10:25. Studio was frozen until 10:26.

Disabled TCP/IPV6
4 cores- Started 1:54- Finished upload at 2:12. Studio frozen until .
Modified bios; turned off EIST.
4 cores- Started 03:04- Finished upload at 3:34. Studio was frozen until (gave an error: routine changes made in controller cannot be correlated)
created driver with only 1 static IP address. Forced to ethernet. ie. 111.111.111.111:eip
4 cores- Started 3:54- Finished upload at 4:24. Studio was frozen until (gave an error: routine changes made in controller cannot be correlated)
Also, tried through factorytalk linx. Took a few minutes longer than the average 20+ minutes.
Rslinx driver diagnostic- averaging 6-8 packets per second.
In the event log it dumps the connection occasionally, but not through ping. (even when specifying larger packet sizes)

I do not use NAT from Guest to Host. I was having issues with ME Transfer utility and NAT.

ME Transfer was taking 30 minutes+.

I user two Bridged connections, one DHCP for Internet to the Guest, and one Static (two IPs - guest and host).

Currently, I use the host connected to VPN as well as the guest. That seems to make FT Activation manager happy. :)
Set to bridged and replicate physical connection state.

A software virtual NAT in the way it's deployed in VMware is much slower than a bridged connection as expected.

How many cores does your host have? you never want your VM to have more cores than your host even though it will try to share the load correctly if you do.

With those specs, 1 processor with 2 cores should be fine.

I don't see where you mention Hard drive specs for the Host or the Guest.

The same idea the Guest should not exceed the Host and you should have at least 10%-20% free space for good performance and thick provisioned disks will perform much better than thin-provisioned disks.

I've never seen a noticeable difference between NAT and bridged. I've also never had transfer times like you described. Something else must going on.

The only application that I had a slowdown on with the ME Transfer Utility to PanelView Plus.

Would take 30+ minutes for a 10meg file. That is why I switched to Bridged, PITA with the Static IPs, but much faster for that one application.

Everything else, is fine.

I want to take a course on VM Workstation and VM Networking.

processor lists as intel core i7-10610u @ 1.8GHZ, 2304 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical processors.

Host: SSD, 109 GB free of 235 GB
Guest Hard drive (on external usb 3 hd). Current size 50.4gb, Max size 100gb.

Tried it after moving the VM to the local hard disk. It took 30 minutes there as well. (so, I do not believe having it on the external drive was the culprit)
Started upload at 11:59. Finished at 12:31. Studio stayed frozen until 12:50 (I manually killed it after waiting that long).
Cpu at 9%, Memory Commit 451,184, Working set 449,808, Shareable 128,452

numvcpus = "8"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "2"

I've tried so many configurations at this point, but this seems to be the sweet spot.
I am on site again, so I was able to upload through usb and the connection now takes only 2-3 minutes.
I've captured traffic through wireshark on both my home network and the one on site. (both having to go through company vpn)
I'll post more once I've figured out more on analyzing wireshark logs, but wanted to update on the processor configurations and the success on usb directly connected.