You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old February 8th, 2021, 04:45 PM   #1
FreeAtLast
United States

How do I make a FactoryTalkView ME PB display caption an attribute?

Hi All,
I have another project with FactoryTalkView ME V11. Instead of copy/pasting the same custom PB object 100 times in my project it seems to me that I could make it a global object with attributes (or as AB calls it, "Global Object Parameter Definitions").

A colleague showed me how to use Global Object Parameter Definitions to link a tag to an instance of a global object. This is easily done with momentary pushbuttons to parameterize the Command and Indicator attributes of a PB. But I want to be able to change the displayed text on the PB (the "Caption") how can I also make that modifiable as well for each instance of this multi pushbutton custom object.

For example, most of my pushbuttons say (Advance/Advanced) depending on the state. But I may want to have one say (Raise/Raised), and not loose my link to the global original.

Thanks for any help you have.
Old February 8th, 2021, 05:44 PM   #2
ASF
Lifetime Supporting Member
Australia

It can't be done using a simple button object. FTView is severely limited on that front.

Your best bet is probably to modify your global object to consist of a multistate indicator, on which you can configure your caption quite easily, and a transparent button overlaying it for the button functionality.
Old February 9th, 2021, 08:30 AM   #3
FreeAtLast
United States

Thanks ASF. It seems you're right, that FactoryTalk doesn't have that functionality of attributes that are part of global objects. By contrast, Ignition does a great job offering those features.
Anyway, I looked at the multistate indicator again, and it has the same limitations of my other objects: It looks like you still can't make display text an attribute of your template instance.
Old February 9th, 2021, 05:06 PM   #4
ASF
Australia

I've said it before and I'll say it again: migrating from FTView ME to Ignition is like migrating from Microsoft Paint to Photoshop
Old February 9th, 2021, 05:17 PM   #5
decvms
Banned User
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: migrating from FTView ME to Ignition is like migrating from Microsoft Paint to Photoshop
agree and pay $12,000 for basic package
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:48 PM   #6
nhatsen
Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
Hi All,
... But I want to be able to change the displayed text on the PB (the "Caption")...
I'm not sure if this is the solution you're looking for. Anyway...

Assuming you have declared a button as a global object, and this button has 2 states:

a) Go to the Global Object Parameters Definition and define 2 parameters. For example:
Code:
Name | Description
--------------------------------
#1     | Caption for state0
#2     ] Caption for state1
b) Go to the Button Properties > States and add a string variable inside each caption. In the popup, select literal string and write the number of the global parameter:

Code:
{#1}  <---- this is the variable for state0 caption   
{#2}  <---- this is the variable for state1 caption
At the end of this step you'll find this code in the caption field:
Code:
/*LS:0 {#1}*/      <- state0
/*LS:0 {#2}*/      <- state1
c) Save the Global Object. When you instantiate the button in any display, set the text for the states using the Global Object Parameters Value.
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:58 PM   #7
ASF
Australia

Nice solution! One thing to be aware of when using literal strings is the "ASCII space" issue - i.e. you can't just use a regular space or it'll fault. You have to use an ASCII space, which looks the same as a regular space but isn't. Check out this thread for more details, particularly posts #6 through #13
Old February 9th, 2021, 08:24 PM   #8
Phrog30
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by decvms View Post
agree and pay $12,000 for basic package
$12k wouldn't be the basic. You are severely misinformed.
Old February 9th, 2021, 10:09 PM   #9
ASF
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrog30 View Post
Correct.

Single-client vision system with AB drivers is around US$2k
Single-session perspective system with AB drivers is under US$3k

Single-session license a fair approximation to a PanelView plus, which also gives you a single runtime license. The only other factor would be datalogging, which comes built in with the PVP and cost an extra US$2k for Ignition. But then for that $2k, you're getting a proper full-blown historian, not the janky datalogging that you get on a PVP.
Old February 11th, 2021, 01:14 PM   #10
decvms
Banned User
United States

Quote:
You can check its web site before saying that I am misinformed.
Old February 11th, 2021, 10:04 PM   #11
Phrog30
United States

Quote:
You can check its web site before saying that I am misinformed.
Did and I'm an avid user, you are wrong
Old February 13th, 2021, 04:57 PM   #12
decvms
Banned User
United States

A shameless liar you are!
Old February 14th, 2021, 02:41 PM   #13
Phrog30
United States

Quote:
A shameless liar you are!
Not sure why I'm wasting time replying to you, but Ignition isn't $12000 for basic. ASF gave you several examples above, I guess you glossed over his post. What you read on IA website is a package IA believes to be the basic SCADA package for a user. But, it is not the most basic package they offer. All pricing on their website is list, further savings can be achieved through certifications. Since this thread, which we have now completely butchered, was related to ME, the price comparisons should be apples to apples. Ignition Edge is probably the closest, and varies in cost as it's typically sold as preinstalled on participating vendors. Advantech is one vendor. For a 15", it's under $4000. That is on par with PV+ pricing. A single license for Ignition is ~$1600. Add the driver and you are at $2000. This can run on a variety of hardware (some very cheap - heck a Rasp Pi will work). That's well short of your $12000 basic package price you think I'm lying about.

You are misinformed. Read up!
Old May 3rd, 2021, 11:49 AM   #14
FreeAtLast
United States

Thanks nHatsen. I appreciate the detailed response.
Old May 4th, 2021, 06:28 AM   #15
rdrast
United States

Quote:
Not sure why I'm wasting time replying to you, but Ignition isn't $12000 for basic. ASF gave you several examples above, I guess you glossed over his post. What you read on IA website is a package IA believes to be the basic SCADA package for a user. But, it is not the most basic package they offer. All pricing on their website is list, further savings can be achieved through certifications. Since this thread, which we have now completely butchered, was related to ME, the price comparisons should be apples to apples. Ignition Edge is probably the closest, and varies in cost as it's typically sold as preinstalled on participating vendors. Advantech is one vendor. For a 15", it's under $4000. That is on par with PV+ pricing. A single license for Ignition is ~$1600. Add the driver and you are at $2000. This can run on a variety of hardware (some very cheap - heck a Rasp Pi will work). That's well short of your $12000 basic package price you think I'm lying about.

You are misinformed. Read up!

Not to mention, the FTView ME equivalent, Ignition Edge, is 100% free, and comes pre-loaded on a bunch of Industrial Touch Panel PC's, that themselves are less expensive than a PanelView +. This guy is either intentionally misinformed, or a shill for Rockwell.

Look First, Ask Second!

Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum