You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old April 8th, 2021, 01:42 PM   #1
Tim Ganz
United States

RS View 32 Making Changes

I have to make some additions to an RS View 32 system and I have never worked with it and have not found many training or other resources on it. It seems to be very close to FT View SE?

It currently has 12 pump station screens and I need to add another pump station. All the other stations have 4 pumps each but the new station will only have 2 pumps.

Can I copy a 4 pump screen and edit the tags to point to the new PLC for station 13 and delete the other 2 pumps?

AFAIK there is no good backup that I have found of this system so what is the proper way to back it up?

And do I need to make a new .mer file after I make the edits?

I know with FT View SE I always backup the .sed file so is this the same? they have made the edits on the server in the past I am told as the maintenance laptop does not have RS View 32 installed.

How would I add the new PLC to be seen by the application?
Old April 8th, 2021, 02:01 PM   #2
parky
United Kingdom

If I remember correctly you can just copy the whole directory to back up, Yes you can copy a screen, modify it, replace the tags. There is no mer file as I assume this is on a windows platform.

Last edited by parky; April 8th, 2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old April 8th, 2021, 02:31 PM   #3
drforsythe
United States

As parky stated, you can just copy the whole directory to back it up. There is no backup/restore process like FTVSE.
Old April 8th, 2021, 02:40 PM   #4
JaxGTO
United States

You can also open a screen and then File/Save As to make a backup in the app.

RSView32 has no direct tag referencing and uses the tag database only.

Just FYI Here is the history:
It started life as Advisor PC.
Then became Control View.
That became RSView32.
Then that rolled into FTView SE and ME.
Old April 8th, 2021, 03:15 PM   #5
GaryS
United States

Tim
Check on what software you need to edit Your Panel I believe you need Panel View 32
I know it runs on DOS
Old April 8th, 2021, 03:53 PM   #6
Tim Ganz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Tim
Check on what software you need to edit Your Panel I believe you need Panel View 32
I know it runs on DOS
Its a RS View 32 app that runs on a PC versus a panelview. We have panel bulider 32 for our panelview standar units / the black case type.
Old April 8th, 2021, 03:54 PM   #7
Tim Ganz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxGTO View Post
You can also open a screen and then File/Save As to make a backup in the app.

RSView32 has no direct tag referencing and uses the tag database only.

Just FYI Here is the history:
It started life as Advisor PC.
Then became Control View.
That became RSView32.
Then that rolled into FTView SE and ME.
What file type would this method create?
Old April 8th, 2021, 04:00 PM   #8
Tim Ganz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post
If I remember correctly you can just copy the whole directory to back up, Yes you can copy a screen, modify it, replace the tags. There is no mer file as I assume this is on a windows platform.
I assume you mean the windows file directory? Will this capture everything?

I ask because we have the RS View 32 install disks and I really want to move it to a better piece of hardware but it has lots of data logs we want to keep and tons of recipes and works with reporting software from a non allen bradley vendor.

This thing has been on the production floor and is full of muck and it has dual power supplies but one is dead and when you boot it up it says 1 disk of the raid mirror is dead so it needs to be backed up and installed on a newer box.

we have tons of old servers that are in great shape that could be used as IT changes them out every 3 years but this one was a maintenance and operations responsibility and nothing every got done about it I guess.
Old April 8th, 2021, 04:02 PM   #9
Tim Ganz
United States

There is also a note in the documentation from the previos PLC guy that they added logic in the PLC to prevent HMI buttons sticking? Says added logicc to unlatch HMI buttons?
Old April 8th, 2021, 04:07 PM   #10
Ken Moore
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I would virtualize it and run the VM on newer hardware. Unless it has DH+ card in it.
Old April 8th, 2021, 04:34 PM   #11
OkiePC
United States

I think the RSView32 app has an extension "rvs" but those memories are old and dusty.

When you copy the whole directory, you are likely to get a lot of data that isn't necessary depending on how many tags are being logged, along with alarm history data that also might not be necessary. If you are using sneakernet (thumb drive) to perform the transfer of the application, this is a handy bit of info...

The structure of the application directory is sensible though, so it is pretty easy to find the cache of stuff you can delete without really losing anything.

Be aware that there are separate licenses for Runtime vs. Development.
CTRL + P is your friend if you just want to edit it live.

EDIT: As for "stuck button syndrome", it can happen to the best of them, so it is always a good idea to deal with any momentary buttons using the PLC to ensure that they either have a time limit or only cause action on the rising edge. Some folks just don't use momentary buttons in the HMI and make them all "set" type buttons.

Last edited by OkiePC; April 8th, 2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:16 PM   #12
Tim Ganz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moore View Post
I would virtualize it and run the VM on newer hardware. Unless it has DH+ card in it.
That it does and ControlNet as well. Most of the PLC 5 stuff is DH+ and the SLC units are Controlnet and then there are lots of compact logix and controllogix on ethernet.

It has a quad ethernet card and best i can tell all 4 ports are being used in which it would be a lt if on one port.

we have spares for both cards in the stock room and working with our IT guy i got them installed on the server from the IT bone yard that is just a couple models newer but the hard disks and disk raid card are different thus the need to backup / reinstall software and restore the view application.
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:44 PM   #13
Tim Ganz
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePC View Post
I think the RSView32 app has an extension "rvs" but those memories are old and dusty.

When you copy the whole directory, you are likely to get a lot of data that isn't necessary depending on how many tags are being logged, along with alarm history data that also might not be necessary. If you are using sneakernet (thumb drive) to perform the transfer of the application, this is a handy bit of info...

The structure of the application directory is sensible though, so it is pretty easy to find the cache of stuff you can delete without really losing anything.

Be aware that there are separate licenses for Runtime vs. Development.
CTRL + P is your friend if you just want to edit it live.

EDIT: As for "stuck button syndrome", it can happen to the best of them, so it is always a good idea to deal with any momentary buttons using the PLC to ensure that they either have a time limit or only cause action on the rising edge. Some folks just don't use momentary buttons in the HMI and make them all "set" type buttons.
Yes I have seen .RVS mentioned when searching online but did not find a lot of detail.

It will be a flash drive or usb removable drive. The IT guy has several sizes of usb external drives and flash drives and one 480GB flash drive to transport it.

Can you expand more on CTRL+P?

In the programs most of the HMI pushbuttons are just XIC in the logic so whats the best way to handle them like a one shot after them perhaps?

When you say a "set" type button would that be a multi state button in AB HMI language? or the maintained pushbutton option?
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:49 PM   #14
Operaghost
United States

RSView32 creates a folder for a project. That folder contains all of the project files. Copy that folder and you've got the entire project.

RSView32 projects can be stored anywhere. There is no specific folder location you are required to use.

RSView32 does have a Transfer utility. It is very similar to what later became the Application Manager tool in FT View. It creates a single compressed file that could be used to copy to another computer. The thinking at the time was that the project folder might be to big for a floppy disk. If I remember correctly, the Transfer utility could span multiple floppies. Of course the tool became unnecessary with removal USB drives.

OG
Old April 8th, 2021, 05:56 PM   #15
Ken Moore
United States

On a PC that has the development and runtime programs. Cntrl +P applied in runtime will take you to the development program. I think on a runtime only PC, it takes you to a selection window, where you can pick application to run. Very rusty on RSView 32.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum