Uploading from Siemens CPU313-2DP using Step7 v5.6

The dialog shown only comes when you attempt to download to the panel, not upload from the panel. So stop what you are doing !

Backtransfer is only possible if the original programmer enabled this option when downloading the program. Check if there is a flashcard installed in the panel. If not, then there is no backtransfer.

I'm not sure why that dialog appeared then because the only command I attempted to execute was Project/Transfer/Backtransfer. Don't worry, the word Download scared me away!

There is an SD card in there. Is it possible to remove the SD card (with power off presumably) and copy the files on it in order to make a backup of the HMI's program? We don't need it to be editable (although that's nice) we just need to get a backup so we can get our customer up and running again, in the event of a hardware failure.

Yes, you can read the SD card in a regular card reader.
If you are lucky, the backtransfer file is there. I believe it is actually a zipped STEP7 project file, even if it does not have a .zip extension.
edit: Or a zipped WinCC Flexible project file.

That being said, it is relatively uncommon that the original programmer has enabled this feature. It is usually only if the customer has specifically required this when the machine was ordered.

Another possibility is that it is a backup image file. This image file can be loaded onto an identical panel.

If there is neither backtransfer file nor backup image file, then you can create a backup image yourself. Either by using the backup/restore function on the panel - found under the Windows Control Panel, or you can use Prosave software.
Be aware that the backup only works with an identical panel. If you dont have a spare MP177 panel already, then be warned that buying one from Siemens is expensive since the panel has long been discontinued. Ebay ?

It's not looking good. There is an empty Simatic folder and three files, all named PTRCP_Rezeptur_1 with file extensions .rdf, .vdf and .dat. These total 20kB. I'm assuming they're of no use to me.

I still couldn't get the Starter software to connect the drives after following your instructions.

Thank you very much for the help, everybody that contributed. I'm going to leave my backup efforts there. In this instance, my bosses are fairly confident in getting assistance from the machine manufacturer in the event of a hardware failure. As a second-hand machinery merchant, we very often get ignored by machine manufacturers as they feel we are taking potential new sales away from them.

The files are recipes.

When you go online with STARTER, are you connected to the PLC or the drive ?
Keep the adapter on the PLC via the piggy-back port. It is possible that the adapter needs 24V from the port which it gets from the PLC CPU but not from the drive.
Also, are you getting through this dialog:
Start the accessible nodes, then use the button at 1 to select the access point, and the button at 2 to setup the selected access point.

STARTER_access_point.png

I was using the Project Wizard to Find Drive Units Online. I was plugged into the X2 DP connector on the PLC

Yes, I tried it set to both DEVICE (Starter, Scout) and S7Online (Step7) with the PG/PC set to PC Adapter.PROFIBUS.1

I went into the HW Config, as you said and saw that the DP port was set to 1.5Mbaud and an address of 2. The baud rate of the PG/PC interface was already set to 1.5Mbaud so I just changed the address to 2.

I have no idea what the other addresses are. Is there a way to find out? Can I just pick a high number and hope it's not used? What's the upper limit?

The drives are also in the step7 project.
Open the hardware configuration, and then check the individual drives.

edit: you can also try a high numer, like 20 or 30.

I saw the addresses of the other devices and made sure I used an address that avoided them but still got no devices found.

I'm going to have to leave it there as I've already spent more time on it than my bosses wanted me to. Thank you very much for all the help though.