You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

Old June 18th, 2021, 04:58 PM   #1
DLMUK
United Kingdom

S7-1200 and Chlorine and PH levels

Hi,

I am designing a system for a swimming pool, I am looking for a chlorine sensor and pH level sensor.

Can anybody suggest sensors which can be connected to a S7-1200?

Thanks
Old June 18th, 2021, 06:40 PM   #2
Saffa
New Zealand

Is this a commercial size pool?

There are products specific for the pool industry. Most will have 4-20mA outputs. The biggest difference is cost and reliability... some chlorine sensors require a lot of calibration and maintenance.

I haven't done much in the pool segment but in water treatment, Prominent make some good products. I believe they also have gear specifically designed for swimming pools.

Otherwise, Evoqua (used to be Wallace & Tiernan) are very good but also expensive.

Or the Crius from Process Instruments. More cost effective, we had some issues the transmitters not being very robust, but i feel that was partly due to employing fat fisted Operators...

https://www.processinstruments.co.uk...rollers/crius/
Old June 19th, 2021, 03:32 AM   #3
parky
United Kingdom

Endress & Hauser are some of the most reliable I have ever come across, used them on many systems, compared to ABB & others I have come across they out perform & reliability is second to none. In one plant we had over 200 instruments from conductivity to level & pressure a number of them were of other makes, due to a number of failures we replaced them with E&H, as far as I can remember we only had 3 failures over a 20 year period of the E&H, two of those were due to corrosion of the terminals (very hot, wet & corrosive environment) the other was a board failure.
Old June 19th, 2021, 05:22 AM   #4
Saffa
New Zealand

Yup E&H are excellent, but generally out of the price range of most swimming pool operators. But doesn't hurt to get a price...
Old June 19th, 2021, 07:09 AM   #5
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Just a thought.... have you thought about changing over to a salt system?, I did and will never go back, its a lot cheaper, its so much better for your skin and easy to maintain
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus
Old June 19th, 2021, 09:00 AM   #6
Oceansoul
United Kingdom

ATi have a combined chlorine and pH monitor. The usual 4-20 outputs for each. We use these in some water treatment plants. http://www.atiuk.com/water-monitors/...orine-monitor/
Old June 19th, 2021, 09:45 AM   #7
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusintraining View Post
Just a thought.... have you thought about changing over to a salt system?, I did and will never go back, its a lot cheaper, its so much better for your skin and easy to maintain
Sorry if it's a dumb question, what is a salt system? Is it to get salty water instead of chlorine?
Old June 19th, 2021, 10:01 AM   #8
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Not a bad question...

It uses the salt through an a cell and generates the chlorine

Some reading material https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en...r-chlorination

The main things is keep the PPM around 4000, I use about 15 bags of salt when I open the pool in the spring and a few during the summer, I tied the control panel power to my timer so it would only run when the filters were running, its a low level of salt and a low level of chlorine so easy on the skin and eyes

Edit I also found the water clarity was better... nothing like diving into a pool that was perfect
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more...OEM and aftermarket supplies... Aftermarket 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+, new USB to 485 modbus

Last edited by geniusintraining; June 19th, 2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old June 19th, 2021, 10:14 AM   #9
Tom Jenkins
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansoul View Post
ati have a combined chlorine and ph monitor. The usual 4-20 outputs for each. We use these in some water treatment plants. http://www.atiuk.com/water-monitors/...orine-monitor/
+1
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum