how to desploy ftview se application?

mrgees100peas

This should be simple but can't figure how. We have a factory talk view SE application running in a system. I was tasked with creating a new additional screen. The screen is done and now I have to put it/deploy it to the other system. How do I do that? I have ftview studio in my system but only a viewer/client in the system I want to deploy to. In FTview ME you would create a *.mer file and deploy that. What do you do in SE? (also its a distributed application. not sure of that matters or not for this question.

You just make your changes and they will appear in the runtime like magic. If you have a screen open, just go to another screen and re-open it to show the changes you made. There is no runtime file.

I believe a system with the viewer/client software uses the same method you would with a studio machine. You will have to navigate on your system to the project folder and find the .gfx file you were working on.

Typically you'll find this in one of your user documents folders, either your current account or the public. This is mine currently:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\SE\HMI Projects\Project_Name\Gfx

once you find the .gfx file you need, copy it and navigate to the same folder on the client system and put it in. Once it's in you can press whatever button is used to navigate to that screen and it will load.

You just make your changes and they will appear in the runtime like magic. If you have a screen open, just go to another screen and re-open it to show the changes you made. There is no runtime file.

I managed to misunderstand the part where you don't have SE development on the runtime pc. Disregard my response, and good luck.

It isn't as easy as just copying the file into the folder. The application needs to be aware of this new file. That will require Studio to connect to that system.

Then you'll need to have some method to navigate to this new display file. Assuming that hasn't already been programmed.

For a Distributed Application you will need to use the Specify FactoryTalk Directory Tool to connect to that FactoryTalk Directory. Then you can open FTV Studio and then open the application and add your display to it. You would right-click on the Displays folder and select Add Component. Then point to your new .GFX file.

In a distributed application changes can be made on the fly. If a graphic you were editing happened to be open, you would have to close that graphic (usually by navigating to another display) then reopen it and you will see your changes. No need to create a runtime.

OG

EDIT: Per Clatchet below, that is not necessary after all.

Last edited:
You definitely don't need to add component for a client to open a display. I just tested this in studio by making a new project and display with a button to "Test2" and then made a display named "Test2" in another project. Copying it over to the new project and running the client file I can press the button and it displays "Test2", and the project only has the display with the button in it.

As far as I can tell all FactoryTalk does when you run the display command is that it checks the GFX folder for a .gfx file with the same name.

The copying of the files worked. I had 2 files. The new screen and a modified main screen that had the launch button for the new screen. Since the main screen already existed I just renamed the old one (just in case) and copied the new one in under the same name. The new screen was just copied under the folder and nothing else. I'm sure there has to be a catch somewhere with this. Maybe during the archiving process the new screen won't be included in the project since it has to be imported to work in studio?!? I'm sure it will come up when its really important and critical.