Type of CPU:s

swedeleaner

Are almost all modern PLC:s using 32/64bit CPU:s?
Have forgotten the ”connection” between size of data types & CPU architecture.

Because 64bit data types are rarely used but do exist?

I know Wozniak emulated a 16-bit processor with SWEET16 in an 8-bit CPU, but it was understandably slower.

Does anyone here know the specs of:
Mitsubishi FX2/FX3/FX5
Mitsubishi Q/i-QR
Siemens 315/319/400/1500

Just for curiosity..

Why do you ask? Is there a certain feature of 64 bit processors that you're looking for, or do you just want 64 bit math? Or are you purely curious, because KNOWLEDGE IS COOL? In most PLCs, the capabilities you're allowed to use are fairly abstracted from the HW itself.

Someone did a teardown of an S7-1200 for a security conference, and it looks like it runs on a 32 bit chip. It can do LREAL math, but not LINT or any thing else 64bit.

I don't know the details of other processors specifically, but 300/400 didn't have 64 bit data types; it maxes out at 32bit. 1500 has 64 bit datatypes (LINT, LREAL, LTIME, etc), and of course can do math with them.

mk42, you were spot on at knowledge is cool.
I ususally settle with the common functions in the different IDE’s. If you want more than that there is always Beckhoff & PLCNext.

But someone needs to pay for developing one offs, my customers rarely needs those kind of machinery.

Anyhow, is it kind of safe to say that if you can’t declare variables or perform multiple operations on a 64-bit tag the CPU is probably 32-bit. Or in Siemens case, 32-bit with 64-bit support somewhere at compiler level?

Mitsubishi I believe are 32 bit but are capable of double precision floating point i.e. 64 bit. And not many manufacturers will release what goes on inside. Providing the system is capable of doing the maths & is fast enough for the job who cares.

Motion-Control Processor

I found this article, see link.

Most PLC's don't need that kind of processing power.

But when you get into Motion-Control and Robotics then you need it.

Quote from the link; "The ZMP-PCI Motion Controller is a PCIbased package built around a 64-bit ZMP controller that uses a 466-MHz Motorola PowerPC processor."

https://www.machinedesign.com/archive/article/21821906/motioncontrol-processor

Wago has a series of PLCs with 1GHz Cortex A8 processor. They are quite advanced and powerful CPUs for a PLC. Not sure if they are 32bit or 64bit though. Codesys does have some 64 bit datatypes (LINT, ULINT and LREAL spring to mind). I do not know if these values are passed in one go through cpu registers on the Cortex processors.

Older Mitsubishi Q series used depending of model SH4-MPU (RISC 32bit) and SH4A-MPU and Intel Atom.
Newer iQR uses different CPUs but I know that R12 C CPU uses ARM Cortex-A9 Dual Core. Both Q and iQR series are systems where you can mount for example 4 CPUs that are doing own programs and that have their own memory and shared memory. I know that motion CPU has to do dramatic number of complicated calculations and that it is extremely fast, but I don't know exact processors. And you can use 64bit with iQR.
Siemens used with S7-200/300/400 almost always Infineon (usually 16 bit, but there were also 32 bit models).
S7-1500 uses Infineon ISO1H81xG family.
I forgot what processors are used by iQF.