How to store camera images and basket # together in a database?

Just another warning here. I would stay clear of reading writing to a SD card for this. Ok yes its not a plant critical feature as its only for information. But SD cards are limited in the amount of writes to it.And by the sound of it you will be writing a lot of photos to the card. If you can get the images of a camera directly it would be better

I got the FTP working locally (from camera to my laptop via ethernet cord through a dumb switch) using the Filezilla app. Thanks for the tip on this program!

Is it possible for me to install a wifi router to my managed switch, and set my laptop up to receive these photos through wifi as well? My confusion is I won't have a static IP address on my wireless card on my laptop, so how will the camera know which IP# to use if it changes?

Secondary question, my laptop is running the FTP server, so do I always need to be connected to the server in order for photos to be transmitted, or can I close Filezilla and just leave my laptop on and let it continue to accept photos?

Thanks,

Is it possible for me to install a wifi router to my managed switch, and set my laptop up to receive these photos through wifi as well? My confusion is I won't have a static IP address on my wireless card on my laptop, so how will the camera know which IP# to use if it changes?

You can set your laptop wifi to a static IP address. I have some situations where I do this to gain access to a controls network thought a wifi bridge. You might have to tweak settings in the wifi router to allow this to work properly.

Secondary question, my laptop is running the FTP server, so do I always need to be connected to the server in order for photos to be transmitted, or can I close Filezilla and just leave my laptop on and let it continue to accept photos?

Thanks,

Filezilla will continue to run even with the GUI closed. As long as you don't stop the FTP service, it should continue to collect the files.

You can set your laptop wifi to a static IP address. I have some situations where I do this to gain access to a controls network thought a wifi bridge. You might have to tweak settings in the wifi router to allow this to work properly.

Filezilla will continue to run even with the GUI closed. As long as you don't stop the FTP service, it should continue to collect the files.

If I set wifi to static IP, I don't think I can connect to WWW though, correct? Is there a way for my laptop to have both Internet connection for browsing purposes, but also another connection to the wifi router to capture photos through FTP? My laptop only has 1 wireless card unfortunately.

If I set wifi to static IP, I don't think I can connect to WWW though, correct? Is there a way for my laptop to have both Internet connection for browsing purposes, but also another connection to the wifi router to capture photos through FTP? My laptop only has 1 wireless card unfortunately.

Yeah, pick one or the other.

I have forgotten to set my wifi back to dynamic and still get to parts of the internet due to the coincidence that our office wifi router dishes IP addresses in the same subnet that I had set my wifi port IPV4 address to. So, with my static IP address, I could still hit some of the internet, but got errors for many sites. I was puzzled for a while over that before I remembered to set it back to normal.

Ahh, that's interesting, thanks for sharing your story.

I may try a USB wireless adapter and create that on a static IP and use that for FTP stuff, then use the wireless card on my laptop for browsing. This may work, will let y'all know later.