PV malfunction between design and runtime

merlin00724

hey guys,

i made a application for a PV plus 1000 ver 8 that uses two shortcuts. everything works perfectly on the design side using the play button. and everything works perfectly if i create a virtual runtime display with the running man, but when i put it on the actual terminal everything using the second shortcut doesnt work. any ideas for me?

thanks as always!

On the communication setup, try clicking the "Copy from design to runtime button", make a new runtime and download. Make sure you "replace communication" when you download, or the PanelView will use the path configuration that it already has.

thanks for the quick reply!

ive about worn out the copy from design button. same with replace comms. ive triple checked everything, but im still missing something.

I think there's two windows, design and runtime. There is also a "Verify" button to ensure communications work.

Even though you have "Copied from design to runtime" you should quadruple check the runtime shortcuts in fact did update. Maybe try making a change, copy to runtime, then change back, to verify that writes are happening? Wouldn't be the first time it happened to me...

I guess my next step would be to scroll through the messages in the popup on the panelview to see what it is complaining about. My experience with the default message banner is that the first few items are informational, the real issues are further down in the list. The size and font make it difficult to get all the useful information.

ok, ill try that tomorrow. im just about to leave for the day.

just as a side, doesnt the running man virtual panelview use the runtime communication setup? i dont understand how that works but the physical terminal doesnt.

talk to you tomorrow and thank for all your help

ok, ill try that tomorrow. im just about to leave for the day.

just as a side, doesnt the running man virtual panelview use the runtime communication setup? i dont understand how that works but the physical terminal doesnt.

talk to you tomorrow and thank for all your help

In the communication setup, the "local" tab defines how your application running in ME Station on your PC is supposed to talk to the PLC. The "target" tab is the path that is used by the PanelView to communicate to the PLC. I personally think the whole idea is terrible and should have never been implemented, it's just one of those things that causes a lot of confusion for the users and doesn't offer enough benefit. One reason you might use it is that if you are testing an application at your desk with a PLC at a different address, you could leave the target alone and setup the local for your test. Then when you load it in the PanelView later, the path was undisturbed. Again, I think this concept does more harm than good.

It some point, after investigating the messages, you might consider deleting the shortcut and re-creating it.

I try not to hold on to memories of working with PainelViews, but I seem to recall being required to set the IP address of the HMI on the touchscreen itself. I might be mistaken but thought I'd throw this out there in case it is relevant.

I try not to hold on to memories of working with PainelViews, but I seem to recall being required to set the IP address of the HMI on the touchscreen itself. I might be mistaken but thought I'd throw this out there in case it is relevant.

I hear ya. The PanelView's address is in fact assigned at the terminal. The communication path is included in the application as I described. I (possibly mistakenly) assumed that the application was being downloaded with the transfer utility, which would mean that it has an IP Address. If the application is being transferred with USB or SD card, then it's possible that there is no addressed assigned. Might also be possible that the physical network connection isn't being made (cabling/switch issue).

still working on this. i appreciate your help

im using transfer utility to download. the IP is setup properly. 99% of the application works on the terminal. i just have this one graphic object that is not working. this object is the only item that uses the second shortcut. i thought maybe on this particular model of terminal you couldnt reference two shortcuts on one display. so made a new display and just put that object on that display and still no dice. after I wasted my time on that, i remembered that i used this terminal in the past on a different machine that referenced three shortcuts on every display. so that cant be it.

i dont know;)

ok heres the last update. i made a demo object and shortcutted to a processor of same make on the same network and set up communications the same way and it worked just fine. did some more digging and although the troublemaker processor pings fine and is communicating fine with its associated equipment, i cant get a new plc message to work either. i suspect something more sinister is going on with this particular processor. doesnt explain why the developer comms worked but....

anyways, thanks for all the help!

What is the part number of the panel view?

edit: If feel silly that I didn't catch that everything worked with the first shortcut, but nothing with the 2nd shortcut. I asked about the model because some PanelView's only support talking to 1 PLC.

Last edited: