Looking for remote I/O block for SLC series

alive15

Good afternoon all, I have a SLC 5/04 that I want to add more i/o to, but all out of space on the backplane and no room to increase backplane size. What options does SLC series have for remote i/o blocks, similar to AENTR series for Compact Logix?

Thanks,

This might not help, depending on your configuration. We have some SLC racks used as I/O running MCC banks. We replaced a few 4 analog out modules with 8 out modules to make room for expansion.
Two 1746-NO4I replaced with one 1746-NO8I

I believe the "blue hose" based RIO adapaters and scanners are now obsolete but I bet there are a shedload of them on fleabay. If you are in a pinch it might be worth consideration.

I am assuming you can't use the rack extension cable which can get you up to 30 slots but the extension racks have to be within reach of the cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Bradley-1746-C9-1746C9-Cable/dp/B00AAGJQ0O

Rockwell used to market a 1746 remote I/O module not sure if it work as an adaptor as well as scanner or a scanner only. 1746-ASB from memory you may find a surplus one via Radwell or other vendors of this type.

as above another option may be to replace a 1746-IB16 (16 point) with a 1746-IB32 (32 point) not sure if this will functionally work though ?

Edit OkiePC was faster, i'm an older model so CPU is Slow :)

Last edited:
It's not THAT old.... but in general component availability and the march of time has made Allen-Bradley Universal Remote I/O modules out of favor and out of production.

1747-SN Series A couldn't perform block transfers, so don't use them if you're going to scan analog modules.

1747-SN Series B will scan nearly anything.

1747-ASB Adapters can control up to 30 slots of 1746-style I/O.

And then you get into the broad world of FLEX, Block, and other I/O platforms for AB Universal Remote I/O.

And that's before we get into the newer stuff on DeviceNet.

As attractive as the 1747-AENTR is, you can't control it with an SLC CPU, only a ControlLogix. It was a begrudgingly built product to fit a small number of retrofit and staged migration applications for strategic customers.

As attractive as the 1747-AENTR is, you can't control it with an SLC CPU, only a ControlLogix. It was a begrudgingly built product to fit a small number of retrofit and staged migration applications for strategic customers.

Along that thought... how about installing 1747-AENTR in place of the 5/04 and installing a 1769-xxxxx controlling the SLC rack with the CompactLogix and then you can expand the Compact as needed but I also guess this depends on your budget

Yes, the 1747-AENTR could be used to migrate the control system to ControlLogix or CompactLogix.

In my opinion that's probably overkill just to get a few more I/O, but it might be useful for longevity, compatibility, or performance reasons.

I believe the "blue hose" based RIO adapaters and scanners are now obsolete but I bet there are a shedload of them on fleabay.

Might be worth checking out Classic Automation as well. Have had good results ordering obsolete parts for PLC-5s from there for one of our major clients.

I was recommended the 1746-C9 from our AB rep, he said this is all we need as long as we have the other backplane? I'm confused, do I just order another backplane without a processor and hook up the above cable from the old rack to the new rack? Do I need another power supply on the new rack also?

Thanks,

I don't have any space to increase the backplane horizontally. Currently I am using 1746-A7, so I can't increase to 10 slots. I do have space right above for an A4, so thinking about just buying this cable and plugging up a 4 slot right above it for additional 24vdc i/o. Currently everything on the A7 is 120vac.

Try and lay it out first before you spend the money buying everything, the C9 will plug into the right side of the A7, then it will plug into the A4 on the left under the PS so make sure the C9 will be long enough, I think its 36 inches

Sounds good. Does any one have a programming manual / pdf file on how to add a 2nd backplane or system to an existing RS Logix 500 program? Thanks again,