studio 5000 logix designer PLC trainer new having issues with creating tags HELLPPP!!

miller20

HEY GUYS

so i just built my 3rd plc trainer compactlogix 5069-L3069ER. It was brand new out of the box set up i have my ip address set up i added my Input card/Output card modules, but for some reason when i try to make my tags there not working i turn on my first switch the light comes on for the PLC but no green light on the logic and i cant get my outputs to do anything. I am question my self if i have them wired up correct, do i need to run 24dc+ to the output card for this plc ? i was think that the MOD power takes care of that, help me out guys i attached some pictures

Thanks alot

plc trainer 6.jpg plc trainer3.jpg plc trainer 2.jpg plc trainer 4.jpg plc trainer 1.jpg

It appears that your tags are not referenced to the I/O. Attached is a page to help you. Drag down a contact, double click on the ? in the box. Follow the drop down menus to get to the specific Input port.

IO001.jpg

It looks like what you *intend* to do is make that tag SWITCH into an alias for one of the input points on the Input module.

But it's just a standalone base tag.

ok so next question maybe you can help me with how to wire up the output card?

do i have to have 24dc going to it some how because right now i have a output on and there is not voltage but the light is on in the plc

Depends on the card and wether you desire sink/source. Find the manual for your output card and study the wiring diagram. Specifically the “commons” or “com”

all i am trying to do is wire up some lights positive and negative very simple light, but not even talking about the light there is not voltage on the output card when its light up ?

Last edited:
'For the most part' -- Out of curiosity, have you actually run into any output modules that generated voltage without any incoming power?

LOL. I thought about that as I wrote it, and no I haven't. But I've not worked on every system there is. And maybe 5-10 years from now when PLCs do generate power from thin air, someone will read this thread and feel the need to correct my ignorance for not predicting the future. :ROFLMAO:

OG

Wireless Power Transmission already exists (although perhaps not at the scale we're considering), and would at least give the appearance of producing power from 'thin air'.

I'm not aware of any output modules that use it... yet.