Ethernet based protocols compatibility.

Hello everyone.

I have seen a lot of devices that works with both Modbus TCP and EthernetIP, or both Modbus TCP and Profinet.

Why is hard to find a device that works with both EthernetIP and Profinet?

Is there some incompatibility issue that exists between brands?, I think the three protocols are open source but Modbus TCP seems to be more easy to find, I mean as a default option in adition with other TCP/IP protocols.

In fact the few devices I know that works with both Ethernet IP and Profinet, it is because it works with the whole range of communication protocol (Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, Profinet, EthernetIP, DeviceNet, Profibus, and some more).

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

I have seen a lot of devices that works with both Modbus TCP and EthernetIP, or both Modbus TCP and Profinet.

Why is hard to find a device that works with both EthernetIP and Profinet?

Is there some incompatibility issue that exists between brands?, I think the three protocols are open source but Modbus TCP seems to be more easy to find, I mean as a default option in adition with other TCP/IP protocols.

In fact the few devices I know that works with both Ethernet IP and Profinet, it is because it works with the whole range of communication protocol (Modbus RTU, Modbus TCP, Profinet, EthernetIP, DeviceNet, Profibus, and some more).

Thanks for reading!

There is no inherent incompatibility between EIP and PN, like I think there is with Ethercat. For example, Siemens recently released a few IO interface modules that support ModbusTCP, EIP, and PN.

Most companies either standardize on one because that's what most of their customers want, and then maybe have a 2nd option, or they support everything because more support = more potential customers.

I think Modbus TCP is more or less 100% free and open. Wikipedia says it is "openly published and royalty free". EIP and PN are open in the sense that "the details are available to anyone who joins the organization responsible for them" but the trade orgs also cost money to join.

Hello Esteban:
I agree with MK2 statement above. Which are those devices you write that support both EtherNet/IP and Profinet. Do you mean they can "simultaneously" support both protocols? Or is there some DIP SWITCH somewhere that allows for the selection of the protocol, but only can use one protocol at a time.
One issue I can think may be tricky for a device which supports simultaneously both protocols is the IP setting mechanism. In Profinet DCP (Discovery and basic Configuration Protocol) is mandatory, whereas for EtherNet/IP this is no specified. EtherNet/IP spec provides support for DHCP and BootP, whereas Profinet allows DHCP but I think it is not widely used as most Profinet controllers use DCP. So to your question, I think IP settings mechanism harmonization between the two protocols supported simultaneously could be a bit tricky.

A small Beckhoff IPC with 4 network adapters can support a different protocol on each one. Moreover, protocols like Profinet, Ethernet/IP or Modbus can be routed "on top" of EtherCAT network so the physical ports can be brought closer to other devices as needed.

I am sure there are similar solutions from other vendors; this is the one that comes to mind.

PLE1902_WEB_IMG_Beckhoff_C6017_IndustrialPC.jpg

Last edited: