DNP3 Capable small RTU

Saffa

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a small RTU that is DNP3 (TCP or UDP) capable. This is for water network flow site monitoring. Need up to 4 analog inputs, 6 DI. Preferably something that has the ability to execute internal logic. 12 to 30V DC supply.

Client currently uses Micrologix 1100, communicating back to a Contrologix over serial data radio using DF1. With the ML1100 now being silver series, and some radio network upgrades, they are looking for a cost effective option that isn't at end of life, and to move these sites to DNP as well. The Micrologix 1400 could do it, but if the 1100 is now silver series they don't want to go down another route that will likely follow suite in a few years.

DNP is the tricky bit. I don't see support for it in the Micro 800 series.

We use the SCADAPack 474 and 574 elsewhere, which is my suggestion to them, but the price point is a fair bit higher and its got a ton more power than they need for the application.

Client uses UHF data radios with ethernet, they prefer this rather than a 4G network solution

Redlion datastation. Their website is a bit unpolished and there are different flavor of datastation, some support DNP and some doesn't. You can add IO onto those.

Thanks, hadn't thought of RedLion. Have used the DSPs for other gateway applications. Might take a look at their FlexEdge controllers, after having a browse. Not sure how it will all compare in price though, last time I bought a DataStation Plus it was comparable to what I'd buy the SCADAPack 474 for by the time you add in IO.

.. so had a quick play in Crimson 3.2, this might be an option although the control logic seems very clunky. Probably not a major for this application though. I've never used this feature before in Crimson... maybe i just need to watch a few videos.

Will see what pricing looks like next week...

Also taking a look at the Ovarro T-Box.

I used datastation strictly as a protocol gateway and it was not bad. I would say easier than Prosoft. I have not messed with the logic portion of it, perhaps someone else can chime on that.

Yet another option is RTAC line of controller from SEL which is increasingly becoming a standard in the power world but they are more pricey than a comparable Contrologix so that's probably out the range your are looking for.

Thanks Danw,

Just reading the spec sheet makes my wallet start to cry. It does look a very capable RTU system but yes, I think it will be well beyond the price range we're looking for.

There are plenty of small PLCs that will do what we want in terms of IO and logic. It's the DNP3 protocol that's the challenge. I'd throw a micrologix 1400 in with one IF4 and we'd be done, but they realize that if the 1100 just went silver series the 1400 can't be too far away and the chief engineer is trying to plan his next 10 years of direction.

I did stumble across a WAGO product that had DNP3 and a couple of the IEC telecontrol protocols built in, will look more into that today when I'm behind a PC and not on my mobile.

Here is an option (from Taipei)
ADAM-3600
8AI,8DI,4DO & some expansion in ADAM-36xx modules

The supporting software has two parts, both windows applications. The EdgeLink Studio configures the IO and protocols (Modbus, DNP OPC, etc), and KW Express for SoftPLC 61131 languages for logic.
Both softwares are free.

Thanks Danw,

Just reading the spec sheet makes my wallet start to cry. It does look a very capable RTU system but yes, I think it will be well beyond the price range we're looking for.

There are plenty of small PLCs that will do what we want in terms of IO and logic. It's the DNP3 protocol that's the challenge. I'd throw a micrologix 1400 in with one IF4 and we'd be done, but they realize that if the 1100 just went silver series the 1400 can't be too far away and the chief engineer is trying to plan his next 10 years of direction.

I did stumble across a WAGO product that had DNP3 and a couple of the IEC telecontrol protocols built in, will look more into that today when I'm behind a PC and not on my mobile.

maybe look at scadapack. not sure on pricing though.

**sorry, I just glossed over the original post where you had already recommended.

If you already have controllogix or compactlogix PLCs on site, prosoft do add on cards to enable DNP3 communication.

I do alot of work with water sites and all the remote sites are DNP3, although we are going to WITS DNP3 in the UK. This may need to be a consideration.

Softing make a standalone module (not in rack) which can communicate to a ethernet/IP control/compact Logix and supports WITS DNP3

Last edited:
Thanks Oceansoul,

Yeah the larger sites aren't an issue. If it was a Compactlogix or Contrologix, it's generally big enough to warrant the expense of a prosoft card, or a decent bandwidth network connection. We're pretty well convered here.

It's the small remote sites that we used to do with a Micrologix 1100 (think water network pressure and/or flow) that I'm struggling with. Yes, the ML1100 didn't have DNP3 so we would use DF1 in the past. I guess I'm trying to modernize that aspect at the same time as find a new controller. DNP3 is much more bandwidth efficient than polling a site every 30 seconds for values that may only change every few minutes. Poll it every 30 minutes and just pull back the changes... but still have the ability to demand poll if you need it.

Certainly can't afford to put a 10 grand PLC system into a site just to monitor 2 analogs. This is 3rd world NZ after all šŸ˜‰

If just a few analogs then you could use something like the xylem ATU800. They are a purpose built small outstation for the water industry. A couple of analog and a few digitals. Supports WITS DNP3 via GPRS, PSTN and I believe ethernet.