4-20 I/O Modules

AD@brady

Hello there PLC Experts,

Quick question for you.

Does a Transmitter with a 4-20ma output need a PLC module with HART capabilities or just any analog module would do?
We currently have a 1756-IF16 Voltage/Current Analog Input Module from AB and it says its input range is 0-20ma.
Maybe all I need is to scale it in the program?
IDK.

Thanks

-If you have to love, love today. If you have to smile, smile today. If you have to cry, cry today. For the important thing is to live today. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow may not come-

Thank you for the reply.

One thing that I see different on my configuration is that I can only choose 0-20mA and not 4-20mA.
Scale it 0-20mA and then scale accordingly. For example, if 4-20mA = 0-100%, then 0-20mA = -25-100%.

Why? The device is 4-20mA, the card supports 4-20mA, why introduce an additional device?
attachment.php

Yes, the module also supports 0-5V, but the transmitter is 4-20mA. Why go to the trouble of converting a 4-20mA signal to 0-5V when you can feed it directly in as 4-20mA without any additional hardware or wiring?

You can feed a 4-20 mA signal to a 0-20 mA input.
You merely have to take the offset into account in the scaling to engineering values function in the PLC program.

That is what ASF explains in post #5.

Here is an example of how we have our 1756-IA* cards.
Use the 0-20mA setting and set your desired scaling your engineering units. (This particular one is a temperature probe, and we have it scaled to match the transmitter puck default scaling. But for something like a valve position input we'll typically scale the input 4-20mA = 0-100%).

If your transmitter is Hart-capable and you want to use it, then you will need a Hart card. If all you want to use is the single-value analog, then your -IA16 will be just fine.

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited: