I am in love with structured text

Nope, this thread boils down to : take a look at the Siemens S7-1200
Am looking for plcs around $300 that don't force me into ladder only.
I care not about your ignorance to a language.

I agree with you. Use s7-1200 and SCL, that is it!!! :D

Seriously - go back and read it. This fellow went to the trouble to try to add to the discussion and see how you responded.

If you are comfortable with your response so be it. I can live with ignoring your posts.

He tried to summarize my post inaccurately, and then followed up w/ structured text isn't worth looking at (basically) on a I love structured text post.

And I'm the *******?

My goal was to get other people interested in the language, because until people start demanding it, we won't see it in the lower level processors.

And to see what others where doing, anyone else using the language, maybe some low level plcs.

Not some stroking contest.

I don't know it so I'm going to diss it and tell women how they should feel about their feelings. (emblished on the women part)

Last edited:
He tried to summarize my post inaccurately, and then followed up w/ structured text isn't worth looking at (basically) on a I love structured text post.

And I'm the *******?

My goal was to get other people interested in the language, because until people start demanding it, we won't see it in the lower level processors.

And you won't because it is a leftover from assembler, and it is here only because some of us are still used to it and still count the bits in the memory (while we have a MB free)..

At least I know I am stupid.
Nothing scarier than a person that thinks they are not.

Last edited:
Seriously - go back and read it. This fellow went to the trouble to try to add to the discussion and see how you responded.

If you are comfortable with your response so be it. I can live with ignoring your posts.

ignoring me is a threat?

You do know this a left brain forum, right?

ignoring me is a threat?

You do know this a left brain forum, right?

A threat? Now that's just silly - you wouldn't miss me at all.

I just have 25+ years programming experience. There are people on this forum with more experience than me who can either help or ignore you as they see fit.

And I'm the *******?

And to see what others where doing, anyone else using the language, maybe some low level plcs.

Not some stroking contest.

I don't know it so I'm going to diss it and tell women how they should feel about their feelings. (emblished on the women part)

NO!
Jeebs did NOT say that structured text isn't worth looking at.
He said that the person who was asked to make an introductory presentation for RSLogix made that statement.
I didn't gather any opinion from Jeebs(RE: ST), other than he will remember the presenter's statements.
I am not sure that Jeeb's first language is English, but he DID form a coherent statement.

I would like to see ST in other processors, but as you succinctly put it "because until people start demanding it, we won't see it in the lower level processors."

So, maybe people DON'T DEMAND IT!

And you won't because it is a leftover from assembler, and it is here only because some of us are still used to it and still count the bits in the memory (while we have a MB free)..

I think you're thinking of Instruction List (STL/AWL in Siemens), as the crappy holdover from the old days.

Structured Text = SCL, which is similar to Basic or C programming on a PC platform. It's still words instead of pictures, but if the programmer does a good job, the names of variables and functions become almost like a sentence saying exactly what it does.

I'll chip in with that I use ST/SCL for 50% of my code, ladder for 40% of my code, and IL/STL for 10% of my code.
I hope to totally get rid of IL/STL.
As I see it, there is no reason for that ST/SCL should be limited to "high-end" PLCs. IMO, if a PLC brand does not support ST/SCL, then that PLC brand is not worth using. As far as I know, ALL the major PLC brands support ST/SCL, so it is the closest to a standardized PLC language that there is (I do know that there are minute differences between brands, but still...). There are too many small variations in Ladder for it to be a universal standard.

Btw, the reason that I am not switching 100% to ST/SCL, is exactly what Archie describes in post #5.
And that is not for the code to be easier to understand for Bubba, but to be easier to understand for myself. In particular when debugging online.

I'll chip in with that I use ST/SCL for 50% of my code, ladder for 40% of my code, and IL/STL for 10% of my code.
I hope to totally get rid of IL/STL.
As I see it, there is no reason for that ST/SCL should be limited to "high-end" PLCs. IMO, if a PLC brand does not support ST/SCL, then that PLC brand is not worth using. As far as I know, ALL the major PLC brands support ST/SCL, so it is the closest to a standardized PLC language that there is (I do know that there are minute differences between brands, but still...). There are too many small variations in Ladder for it to be a universal standard.

I was able to basically do a straight copy from codesys into an M340. That was pretty cool.

Yes, if you are writing for a factory floor, then yes, structured text is basically off limits. But if you are making an OEM product that noone except you has access too, the the sky is the limit.

Curious, how often is it a programming issue versus something else?

Generally speaking, my experience when I have gotten calls from "bubba", it's usually because "bubba" goes online with a PLC and uses this as his primary troubleshooting tool and quickly abandons everything else (including looking at the alarm information on the HMI!). They can't follow something in the PLC so they pass the buck and call to me. I arrive and and perform the basic troubleshooting "bubba" should have done in the first place and point out the mechanical or electrical component failure that is often the cause.

I totally agree. Once they see you go online and fix a problem, that becomes the go-to solution for that machine and the maintenance mechanics start throwing up their hands and calling you because there's "something wrong with the program."

As far as I know, ALL the major PLC brands support ST/SCL, so it is the closest to a standardized PLC language that there is (I do know that there are minute differences between brands, but still...). There are too many small variations in Ladder for it to be a universal standard.

In my experience, the code itself transfers pretty well between vendors, the trick in conversion was mostly in find/replace for all the tags to account for different memory structures in different HW families.