AB Micro 820: Two Modbus Networks at same time? RTU Master, TCP Slave

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I successfully got a Micro 820 (Slave) and Red Lion HMI (Master) to work together using Modbus TCP. But now I need to add an Automation Direct Solo Temperature Controller to the PLC, which uses Modbus RTU. I don't mind the learning curve, but part of me wonders if the Micro can be a Master on the RTU, and a slave on the TCP at the same time. Anybody able to offer some experience on this?

Yeah, I worked on it last night and I'm getting the feeling it's not a problem. What *is* a problem is figuring out how to set it up. I've done a little bit with Modbus, but it seems like there are a bunch of different ways to do Modbus communication, depending on the manufacturer. Garry Shortt has a fantastic video for setting this up using an Automation Direct BRX PLC. I have one sitting around, so I did that lab first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PndrIfBImGQ&t=504s

But now I'm looking at duplicating that in CCW, and it isn't obvious how to accomplish the same thing... although I just saw something in the manual that could be helpful. Maybe coming back to it later today might make things more obvious. I guess just getting a successful read of the PV first would be good, and then build on that.

I'm heading out the door to do some service calls. I'll look at this later on tonight.