Job Openings

That job has been posted with multiple recruiters for a very long time some place about a year think here must be some problem with it or maybe they just expect to much for to little

*WARING* Broad generalities ahead!

The qualified people that I know want LESS travel as they gain experience. Divorces are *EXPENSIVE*.

The junior people that got their first job with a consultant, have gained their experience with that same consultant .. tend to stay with that consultant (better the devil you know ...) until they find an opportunity with less travel.

So maybe this opportunity is paid better, or there is some other reason that they want to move on.

And there are, of course, exceptions to these broad generalities that I may or may not have pegged well. I believe that this job posting is searching for some of the exceptions.

We have 1.9 trillion to give away

the other night, my wife and I were discussing the concept of one trillion dollars ...

I showed her the regular graphics available on the internet – pallets of money – stacks of bills reaching into outer space – and so on ... she said that she was having a problem comprehending that much money ... so I tried the following method ...

suppose that a one dollar bill is ABOUT six inches in length ...

there are 5,280 feet in one STANDARD mile ...

so it would take ABOUT 10,560 dollar bills to stretch one mile ...

the circumference of planet earth is ABOUT 24,850 miles ...

one trillion (as most people reckon it) is the number 1 followed by 12 zeros ...

1,000,000,000,000 ...

doing some basic division means that one trillion one-dollar bills laid end-to-end along the equator – over the land AND across the sea - would wrap around the entire planet - ABOUT 3,810 laps ...

now I'm not really good with math – but I think that I've got it right ... please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ... frankly my little wife thinks that I MUST be making a mistake somewhere along the line ... I'd love to be able to point to this thread and show her that some of you math wizards tend to agree with me ...

once we've got a handle on the size of ONE trillion dollars – then MAYBE my wife and I will take up the discussion of 1.9 trillion dollars and see how far that will go ...

IMPORTANT: this is NOT intended to be a "political" discussion ... frankly I've given up discussing politics ...

party on ...

Last edited:
Ok, just talked with HR. This is a salaried position with a salary range of $88~125k depending on experience and knowledge.

Damn, I should migrate to the US.
Seems like the salaries are a bit higher over seas.
With up to 75% travel time, it is good but not exceptional.

The qualified people that I know want LESS travel as they gain experience. Divorces are *EXPENSIVE*.
Exactly.

I have a reasonable salary for an engineer in my company. The travelling service techs earn substantially more than me. But then other hand they tend to divorce quickly

The problem with being salaried is that management will be be tempted to ask increasingly more hours ("you get a good salary, so you must expect to travel in weekends." "The customer wants you to do the maintenance during the night between shifts. Thats what we pay you for").
And they will do so until the employee break.

The problem with being salaried is that management will be be tempted to ask increasingly more hours ("you get a good salary, so you must expect to travel in weekends." "The customer wants you to do the maintenance during the night between shifts. Thats what we pay you for").
And they will do so until the employee break.

I love'd hearing that travel isn't really working, so what you are in a car 10+ hours a week that isn't "real work" or yeah you should travel on the weekends and not Monday/Friday.

OR the on-call not paid to be on-call, "the guys would really appreciate it".

So... yeah I don't work at either of those places anymore.

I'm curious if WFH will ever catch in the PLC world, but generally speaking I have zero reason to be on-site if I have a competent tech/maintenance team.

Multiplying by unity ...

I'd love to be able to point to this thread and show her that some of you math wizards tend to agree with me ...

I am not a math wizard, but I am an expert at multiplying and dividing by one ...

xxx.png

Specifically,

• 1$ = 6inches,
    • so 1/6 $/in = 1
  • 12inches = 1foot,
    • so 12in/ft = 1
  • 5280feet = 1mile,
    • so 5280ft/mi = 1
multiply 1 x 1 x 1 = 1

• (1/6 x 12 x 5280) ($/in in/ft ft/mi) = 10560 $/mi = 1
  • Also, we know 1 divided by 1 is also 1, so (1/10560) (mi/$) = 1
    • N.B the units have been inverted, with the value, from $/mi to mi/$
N.B. the units of inches cancelled out, as did the units of feet, and both were removed, because they in both numerator and denominator.

Then:

yyy.png

Since we believe RonB before The Google, we can say that one earth circumference (EC) is equal to 24850mi i.e.

• 1 EC = 24850mi, so (1/24850) (EC/mi) = 1
So, for the denouement we multiply one trillion dollars (1 with 12 zeros after it) by 1 by 1:

• 1000000000000$ x (1/10560) (mi/$) x (1/24850) (EC/mi) = (1000000000000 / (10560 x 24850)) ($ mi/$ EC/mi) = 3801 EC
    • N.B. units of miles and units of dollars units cancel out, because they are each in both numerator and denominator
So one trillion dollars is the same* as three-thousand, eight-hundred one earth circumferences (ECs).

QED.

* because anything multiplied by one is itself

That job has been posted with multiple recruiters for a very long time some place about a year think here must be some problem with it or maybe they just expect to much for to little

You are correct and we have hired four over the past 12 months and two remain. Why? One thought he should be CEO within four weeks or so and totally lied about his qualifications. Could barely spell PLC! Needless to say, he didn't last. The other decided he wanted to go back to college and the hands on work was not for him.

It's honestly not a bad gig or I wouldn't have been doing it for 20 years. My team mostly does retrofits from the older Series 90 GE family to the newer RX3i family. Some of these are simple and easy, some like the ones we are doing now are complex with thousands of I/O.

I would love to find a few tech graduates to train up but I can't even find those. Not that are willing to work anyway.

Now with multiple projects happening at the same time we need a few experienced people to assist and lead. These aren't running Monday ~ Friday projects but 6 to 8 month projects with 3 weeks on 1 week off type arrangement. Possibly negotiable with management (above my pay grade).

I would be more than willing to talk with anyone who may be interested. Looking at retirement in a few short years and guess I'm looking for my replacement.

Then there is the quick way to verify Ron's result on an order of magnitude basis:

N.B. k=1,000=thousand; M=1,000,000=Million

• two dollar bills per foot, and 5k feet in a mile ~10k$/mi,
  • and the circumference of the earth is ~25kmi
  • so 10k * 25k = 250 kk $ per EC = 250 M$ per EC = one quarter billion$ per EC.
  • inverting that last result: four EC per billion $,
  • and one-thousand billion$ per trillion$,
  • so ~ four-thousand EC per trillion $
So 3801 is more than reasonable.

Last edited:
I am not a math wizard, but I am an expert at multiplying and dividing by one ...

View attachment 57647

Specifically,

• 1$ = 6inches,
    • so 1/6 $/in = 1
  • 12inches = 1foot,
    • so 12in/ft = 1
  • 5280feet = 1mile,
    • so 5280ft/mi = 1
multiply 1 x 1 x 1 = 1

• (1/6 x 12 x 5280) ($/in in/ft ft/mi) = 10560 $/mi = 1
  • Also, we know 1 divided by 1 is also 1, so (1/10560) (mi/$) = 1
    • N.B the units have been inverted, with the value, from $/mi to mi/$
N.B. the units of inches cancelled out, as did the units of feet, and both were removed, because they in both numerator and denominator.

Then:

View attachment 57646

Since we believe RonB before The Google, we can say that one earth circumference (EC) is equal to 24850mi i.e.

• 1 EC = 24850mi, so (1/24850) (EC/mi) = 1
So, for the denouement we multiply one trillion dollars (1 with 12 zeros after it) by 1 by 1:

• 1000000000000$ x (1/10560) (mi/$) x (1/24850) (EC/mi) = (1000000000000 / (10560 x 24850)) ($ mi/$ EC/mi) = 3801 EC
    • N.B. units of miles and units of dollars units cancel out, because they are each in both numerator and denominator
So one trillion dollars is the same* as three-thousand, eight-hundred one earth circumferences (ECs).

QED.

* because anything multiplied by one is itself

All I gotta say, is nice formatting! That's intense.

5 years experience, no answer on salary...

Sounds like a generic post for an entry level job. (The pay is entry level, the requirements are not.)

What's the point of posting for a job without the pay, why waste everyone time?

+1.

I won't even talk to a recruiter until they send a complete JD, what shift, how much travel, location and a salary bracket from the employer. Why waste time with idle chit-chat to find out it pays less than you're making now and it's second shift?

The pay is not bad...

Is it? I'm confused these days, not that I'm actively looking but some of the help wanted ad I see want the world and pays... well, not much. I guess I live in a high cost of living area where a mid-level program manager (5+ years exp) for one of the tech firm here makes $150k.

I guess I live in a high cost of living area where a mid-level program manager (5+ years exp) for one of the tech firm here makes $150k.

In SC/NC its would be considered good pay for 40hrs a week... but I am sure in NYC, Bay Area, Seattle etc it may not be close to a decent living wage.

Maybe this is why I have not been able to hire anyone.... o_O