RSLogix500 reading wrong SLC 5/05 processor

CQ21

Hello all,

I have an SLC 5/05 series C (pic attached) but when I try to download a program it say it is a different series with a different FRN (pic attached). I am not sure if I am wrong here or why is RSLogix500 saying I have a different processor? It is fresh out of the box and no firmware has been changed. if anyone can offer any suggestion it would be much appreciated. P.S. also when I do read I/O config it suggests a different processor too.

Thanks in advance!

pic.PNG IMG_4402 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Thats normal and fine, just click yes

Your address is different than the one you are downloading to since its new and never been programmed... the PLC is the same series and size and you are also setting the driver in the program you are downloading

EDIT: also I think you may be looking at the firmware series C the CPU is L553 Ser D on both

Last edited:
Where did the box come from ?

I see that you're connecting using a serial cable (the DF1 driver). Have you been able to set up an IP address using DHCP/BOOTP, that would let you look at the embedded web page of the controller ?

When you do an IO Config scan, what does RSLogix report the controller as ?

When you browse the controller in RSLinx Classic, right-click and select Device Properties. What does that indicate the controller model and FRN are ?

If you are physically connected to the serial port of the controller, there's no risk that you're downloading to the wrong controller (and your can isolate if from the network, of course). Maybe the controller has an FRN that's newer (but still compatible with Series C/D FRN 10+) than your RSLogix 500 recognizes.

Edit: I'm probably overthinking this. That message is normal when you're downloading a new program into a new controller.

Thats normal and fine, just click yes

Your address is different than the one you are downloading to since its new and never been programmed... the PLC is the same series and size and you are also setting the driver in the program you are downloading

EDIT: also I think you may be looking at the firmware series C the CPU is L553 Ser D on both

Ah thank you, cheers! (y)

Where did the box come from ?

I see that you're connecting using a serial cable (the DF1 driver). Have you been able to set up an IP address using DHCP/BOOTP, that would let you look at the embedded web page of the controller ?

When you do an IO Config scan, what does RSLogix report the controller as ?

When you browse the controller in RSLinx Classic, right-click and select Device Properties. What does that indicate the controller model and FRN are ?

If you are physically connected to the serial port of the controller, there's no risk that you're downloading to the wrong controller (and your can isolate if from the network, of course). Maybe the controller has an FRN that's newer (but still compatible with Series C/D FRN 10+) than your RSLogix 500 recognizes.

Edit: I'm probably overthinking this. That message is normal when you're downloading a new program into a new controller.

Thanks for you reply! I am using RSLogix500 ver 11.00 and this is what the embedded web page of the controller says:

SLC 5/05 1747-L553/C (64K)
Series/Revision C/13

I have already successfully assigned it an IP address and it is brand new. It has FRN 13. Maybe it is normal but the pop up shown in my earlier post continues to appear every time I download. Should I just go with it? P.S. it is crucial that I can use the full capability of my FRN as I will configure Ch 0 as RTU Master...

Thanks

That popup will show every time RSLogix goes to download a program.

As long as it doesn't show a controller with less memory then the download will work, if it is less memory it might work if your program isn't too big.

That popup will show every time RSLogix goes to download a program.

As long as it doesn't show a controller with less memory then the download will work, if it is less memory it might work if your program isn't too big.

I figured that would be the case. Thanks, much appreciated!

The other time to pay real close attention to that dialog box is if you are downloading over a network and RSLinx has shuffled your list of "nodes" and picked out the wrong CPU to download to. There is one more 'last chance to bail out' dialog box that will pop up if the target CPU is still in RUN mode.

I haven't downloaded to the wrong PLC before but I have come close to doing it...saved by that pop-up.

I have gone online with the wrong PLC-5 once and forced off an output only to realize fifteen minutes later why the operator two rows over was fighting with a ball up I caused on her machine.

:whistle:
Remove All Forces
:whistle:

I haven't downloaded to the wrong PLC before but I have come close to doing it...saved by that pop-up.

I shut the plant down twice :oops:

Once I downloaded a program with the same node address on a DH+ 5/04 network and the second time was downloading to a G308 over Ethernet, it was controlling temps for a burner... since the temps were no longer there it changed all the sp's to 0

I worked there for 15 years so only killing the process twice I guess was understandable