Fix32 remote server configuration

usfscooter

I have a a PLC-5 system that is connected to a Windows 2k PC that is running Fix32. I was called to reload the program onto the PLC-5 and I did that with no problem. When we started up the HMI again, it wouldn't connect to the PLC-5. After some digging, it looks like the license for RSLinx Gateway 2.30.01 isn't there. This system ran for decades and now it suddenly can't find the license file. The license for RSLogix 5 is still on the computer and I can run RSLogix 5 with no problem. All of the backups they made of the hard drive have the RSLogix license and not the RSLinx license.

Assuming I can't get my hands on a license, I'm going to need to make an interim upgrade to keep it running until we are able to complete our planned upgrade which is still a couple years out.

Is it possible for me to build a Windows 7 or 10 computer and install RSLinx Gateway in the host OS while building a VM of the 2k system and configure Fix32 OPC to connect to RSlinx as a remote server? If not as a VM, could I keep the 2k machine and build a new computer to act as the RSLinx Gateway while configuring Fix32 to connect to it remotely? I have only ever configured local servers with Fix in the past.

Any thoughts?

Do you have the serial #? Rockwell will still help you with licensing issue even if you don't have Techconnect. They may also look to see what has ben registered to your company in the past.

To you question, using RSLinxgateway as remote OPC server should work but I dont' see the point as you still need a license for it. Or am I missing something.

If you have to pay, RSLinx OEM or Single Node might be cheaper than Gateway.

I called Rockwell and I was told the license has been retired. It is still floppy based. For them to provide a new license file, they said I would need to upgrade so that I would be able to use FactoryTalk Activation instead of EVMove. I recalled their use of virtual floppies but that was discontinued about 4 years ago.

In order for Fix32 to collect PLC-5 data, I do need some licensed version of RSLinx for its Allen-Bradley driver to work. To get a licensed version of RSLinx, I am being told by Rockwell that I need to upgrade to a newer version which requires a new computer.

My hope is that I could build a new computer with a licensed newer version of RSLinx and configure Fix32 to connect to it remotely. I have never configured a system like that before and was curious if anyone could tell me if my idea passes a sanity test and maybe point me in the direction of some instructions on how to configure the OPC Powertool in Fix32 to connect to the remote server. I would hope it is pretty straightforward.

Ok, I get the picture. I been there and it's not fun.

I would say this; even in theory this might work, success is never assured when you deal with Remote OPC across OS decades apart, then you add fix32 on top of it... I'm just not sure it's the best use of your time with that much uncertainty in outcome.

maybe, just maybe, your local Rockwell person can dig up a old license file for you to tidy things over. Especially if you tell them that you are going to update the PLC5 to something newer (another big risk factor running that).

Even if you can get it to work, I don't think they will allow you get the latest RSLinx. Basically, they will let you get the latest version of software released while you still had support. So the VM solution may not even pan out unless you pay up for renewal price.