help me regarding my project on plc

santosh_43

HAI EVERYBODY

I AM DOING B.TECH FINAL YEAR.I HAVE TO SUBMIT A PROJECT AND HAVE CHOSEN PLC RELATED TOPIC AS MY PROJECT WORK(THOUGH ITS FIRST TIME FOR ME TO DEAL WITH PLCS).I AM IN INITIAL STAGE OF MY PROJECT WORK AND STARTED GATHERING INFORMATION REQUIRED TO MY PROJECT.THE TITLE OF MY PROJECT WORK IS "PLC APPLICATION TO MOTOR CONTROL"

MY PROFESSOR GAVE AN IDEA TO DEVELOP A MODULE.ITS VERY SIMPLER ONE.

"THE MODULE CONSISTS OF A DC MOTOR RUNNING A CONVEYOR BELT USING GEARS.THE CONVEYOR BELT HAS SENSORS ON EITHER SIDE TO DETECT OBJECT ON THE BELT.WHENEVER THE SENSORS SENSES OBJECT,IT WOULD SEND A SIGNAL TO PLC TO STOP THE MOTOR AND RESTART IT AFTER SOME SPECIFIED TIME."

what type of sensors and plc could be better for this project? pls help me regarding this......

do you need to have it working in real or just develop the project and simulate without real hardware?

for such sort of task you could use something like intellectual relay like Zelio, Logo, etc depending on brand, or may be DL-05...i believe the price is almost same, and you could use DirectSoft demo for free, since your project will not be more than 100 words...

what kind of objects(size, shape) should be detected, and how wide the belt is?

Last edited:
This reminds me of Crying Baby´s thread.

santosh_43 said:
I AM DOING B.TECH FINAL YEAR.I HAVE TO SUBMIT A PROJECT AND HAVE CHOSEN PLC RELATED TOPIC AS MY PROJECT WORK(THOUGH ITS FIRST TIME FOR ME TO DEAL WITH PLCS).

Suggestion 1: Turn off caps lock.

Suggestion 2: If the topic is all-PLC related, then stop and chose a project topic that you have actually learned something about.
If the topic is only partially related to PLCs, and you know well the non-PLC related parts, then team up with someone who nows PLCs well.
A final year project is normally something where you collect all what you have learned and try to put it to use as if you had a project out in "real life".

Sorry for telling it like this, but trust me, it is better to chose the right path from the onset.

Without jumping on the bandwagon

I have to ask you if you are really interested in your project ? does it light you candle so to speak ?

There is not a lot of point carrying out this project if you don't plan on pursuing it further . Having also passed a B Tech qualification back in the 1800's I would comment that unless things have changed a lot , there wasn't a great deal of encouragement to specialize on a discipline - I wished I had learned when I was 18 that just because a subject looks good on paper , it disn't mean that you enjoy it or want to do it by way of work .

However if you do , you should consider the following before even thinking about a PLC - if this was a straightforward application with no PLC , how would you go about controlling it ? what about alarms for motor tripped , fail to start or stop , and then the conveyor belt - does it need a tracking alarm or correction , what about if a product fails to arrive in a set time , does this mean that the product has jammed somewhere ? do we need to generate an alarm or warning .

Real life would rarely have a situation so simple as the one you model .

MY PROFESSOR GAVE AN IDEA TO DEVELOP A MODULE.ITS VERY SIMPLER ONE.

"THE MODULE CONSISTS OF A DC MOTOR RUNNING A CONVEYOR BELT USING GEARS.THE CONVEYOR BELT HAS SENSORS ON EITHER SIDE TO DETECT OBJECT ON THE BELT.WHENEVER THE SENSORS SENSES OBJECT,IT WOULD SEND A SIGNAL TO PLC TO STOP THE MOTOR AND RESTART IT AFTER SOME SPECIFIED TIME."

what type of sensors and plc could be better for this project? pls help me regarding this......
[/QUOTE]

Hi San,

Why not develop a conveyor that simulates bottling symtem of a Cola products, which include counting of empty bottles, filling of bottles, and counting of filled bottles. Its very easy to contruct you can buy all the stuff from a junk shop.

You can use an S7 222 PLC, to control it. we have one model in our laboratory here in our school.

As to the type of sensor that you are going to use, it depends on what type of material that you are going to detect, it could be an inductive or capacitive sensor. You have to consider also the configuration of the sensor (NPN OR PNP).

But remember, sensors are very expensive, in our case we just made a sensor for our conveyor using LIGHT DEPENDENT RESISTOR AND LED as our light source. It's very simple but it works.

Last edited:
set-csg,

do you have a picture of your model? are you using pneumatic or electric valve for bottle's filling?

i'm not sure if either inductive or capacitive sensor will work well for detecting the object on a wide belt, i would probably use photoelectric sensor better, jmo...

however anyway, it looks like the author is not showing up here anymore, probably he is really not interested in the project and probably plcs at all...

10BaseT. said:
There is not a lot of point carrying out this project if you don't plan on pursuing it further . Having also passed a B Tech qualification back in the 1800's I would comment that unless things have changed a lot , there wasn't a great deal of encouragement to specialize on a discipline - I wished I had learned when I was 18 that just because a subject looks good on paper , it disn't mean that you enjoy it or want to do it by way of work .

Dang, you are old.

I'm very sorry we don't have any picture of the conveyor that we have in our lab. As for the filling, their is no actual filling devices in the set up, we just simulate it.