panelview 1000 setup question

pieces94

Hello All,

I am working for a research university and I was asked to set up an old system that was donated to the university. Before the equipment was donated the panelview 1000 was removed. Aside from that the unit is complete (i.e. plc and modules). The original owner forwarded to me a .PBA file which should be the program to operate the system. My question is how can I set the system up if I were to purchase a new panelview 1000? Do I need to purchase panelbuilder32 to convert the .PBA file to a .PVA? Do I need panelbuilder anyway to transfer the file? Can I purchase a memory card for the panelview, transfer the file via PC to the memory card and then startup the panelview? Thank you in advance.

Chris

You will need Panelbuilder32 to change/Upload/download to the PV1000. You can work with the PVA file. I was not sure if you understand that the PLC program is separate from the PV1000. The PV1000 is only an HMI and will perform no logic functions. Whatever PLC you have, you will need the programming software for the PLC, if you need to make any changes.

If you have the PBA file and want it converted to PVA, zip it and post it here. One of us could do that for you.

Then you can use a memory card to transfer it to the new unit, without PB32.

Paul

Last edited:
First I would like to thank you for the help and advice you have provided.

ATU – I’m aware that the PBA is the panelview32 program and that the PVA is for the panelview but I’ve read two different things. 1) that once uploading the PBA it converts to PVA and 2) the PBA needs to be compiled to PVA. I wasn’t sure which one is correct and if panelbuilder32 was needed for upload/conversion.

OkiePC – Thank you very much for the offer. I do not have the PBA right now but I should be able to get it on Monday. Is it possible to access an AB memory card with a PC?

I’ve also read that the panelview requires the PVA as well as an image file for the front panel. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Chris

pieces94 said:
First I would like to thank you for the help and advice you have provided.
Welcome to the forum...
pieces94 said:
ATU – I’m aware that the PBA is the panelview32 program and that the PVA is for the panelview but I’ve read two different things. 1) that once uploading the PBA it converts to PVA and

The terms upload and download are almost always used in reference to the PC. The Panelview is downloaded with a PVA. The file uploaded from the panelview is a PVA.

I think what ATU was trying to point out is that the PanelView will not run the machine all by itself. There will be at least one controller of sort that the Panelview 'talks to' which performs machinery control. The Panelview simply reads and writes values to devices that perform the actual control.

pieces94 said:
2) the PBA needs to be compiled to PVA. I wasn’t sure which one is correct and if panelbuilder32 was needed for upload/conversion.

PanelBuilder32 does the conversion from PBA to PVA before it performs a download. It also allows you to save the file as a PVA so that it can be transferred with a variety of methods, the fastest and simplest of which is a memory card.

pieces94 said:
OkiePC – Thank you very much for the offer. I do not have the PBA right now but I should be able to get it on Monday. Is it possible to access an AB memory card with a PC?

Yes
pieces94 said:
I’ve also read that the panelview requires the PVA as well as an image file for the front panel. Is that correct?

No, the panelview only requires the PVA file. It contains all of the images and other information needed by the PanelView Standard HMI.

Paul

Last edited:
Also, if the zipped PBA file is larger than 300K (likely) then send me a PM and we can do it via email. This forum has a file size limit of 300k for attached files.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks again for all the help. I didn’t think I had it but I found the PBA file on a USB stick. Once the PBA file is zipped it’s only 122k so I attached it here.

Is it correct that the memory card is just a compact flash card?

Chris

Cool. It is for a 2711-T10C20 PV1000 Color Touch. Make sure you buy that part number, as PanelView standard terminals are specified by comms type at the time of purchase.

It is configured to talk to a Controllogix PLC via ethernet.

Here is the zipped PVA file:

EDIT: I am working on a reply to your memory card question...

EDIT AGAIN: Read this thread on PV standard and memory cards.

Last edited:
Paul,

Thank you so much for converting that file for me. I had the 2711-T10C20 part number and found out that the 20 in the part number specifies the Ethernet connectivity, thank you for reminding me though.

Also thank you for the information on the memory card.

You’re the best!

Chris

Hi Paul,

It's been a long time but I finally tracked down a used (fits within the budget) panelview and setup the plasma spraying system. I powered everything up this morning, transfered the PVA file you created for me onto a memory card and I am getting an error saying file not supported. Any ideas? I tried renaming the file thinking it might have been an isue with the characters or length of name but no luck.

Thanks,
Chris

One difference is the file he sent you is a "10C" color, the PV you have is a "10G" grayscale.
Not sure if this is causing your error but it is a difference.

Thanks Mickey. A sales rep told me that a program written for a color panel would work on a grayscale. I hope his information was correct.

Chris

Pass information thru DH+

I have right now 2 slc500 5/04 connected together thru DH+ how can i pass information from one to the other, i mean if i have b3:8 = 500 in processor A how can i read that in processor B.

What do i need to setup?