PLC 2/30 Conversion

tdhardy

Does anyone know where I might be able to download or obtain a copy of Allen Bradley 6200-2CV5 software to convert a PLC2/30 to PLC 5? I'd like to be able to get at least this far with the software and then convert the PLC 5 to ControLogix using the current hardware Rockwell offers to bring the 1771 I/O into 1756 cards and convert the PLC 5 program to Logix 5000

Welcome to the forum.

I would contact my local AB distributor and tell him your plans. upgrading to control logix will be a plus.
you will need the PLC2 software, you have no choice. when you run the conversion software, it will tell you of the errors in the plc 2 program that must be fixed before the conversion will complete. there are rules required for the conversion, bummer, but they must be done.
when you do the conversion, there may be some debug time in the plc5 program, bummer also. but at least you are on your way.
i no longer have a copy of the conversion software.
regards,
james

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

In 2010 or so the RA field engineering business and RA Tech Support finally pulled the plug on providing "just a little" free support for PLC-2 systems. You could hire us to plan or perform an upgrade, or do it yourself with whatever tools you had retained and still worked, but we wouldn't dabble in it.

There used to be a sizable and link-heavy document of PLC-2 upgrade and conversion tips and tricks in the Knowledgebase, but because I can't find it now I'm confident that it was an RA internal document (I left the Company in 2012).

Can you describe the extent of this PLC-2/30 system ? How many I/O chassis ? How many analog modules ? What's connected over DH+, and is there anything connected over serial ? Any sort of HMI system ?

Getting the software is a challenge, installing on the type of PC & OS that you have around is another challenge, getting the right cable to work is another one, and so on ...

Find a local System Integrator, they should be able to convert it for you. I do that all the time, but out here in sunny CA.
Or even post the program here, if someone is bored enough they might be nice and convert it for you.

I did a conversion from PLC2 to PLC5 a long time ago at that time I had Rockwell do the conversion for as healthy price I may add then I spent a lot of time going over it line by line to fix all the items that could not converted and other errors. In the end I would have been better off just doing the conversion by hand it would have taken about the same amount of time. This was long before the Logix plc’s were out
On that project I wrote the original PLC2 program from scratch. Before the plc5 were out.
I think I this case you may be better off doing the conversion yourself if you have the PLC2 programming software and I assume you have the Logix software.

Why not convert to ControlLogix rather than PLC5 ?
Or any other modern PLC for that matter.

If you have a printout of the program, and knowledge of what the machine does, maybe it is better to start all over writing a new program with up-to-date programming techniques ?
I have done a number of PLC upgrade projects, and I have never converted an ancient PLC program to work on a modern PLC. Too much has changed - for the better - that the it does not pay off to try and convert an old PLC program.
Just my opinion.