FactoryTalk View ME - Displaying Web Page

dan296

I am needing to display a local svg file that is constantly updating within my runtime application. My file is located as C:\Users\mccsf\Desktop\file_to_show.svg.

I am using an ActiveX Control Object to display this webpage and the I am using the Microsoft Web Browser Control type. I am having difficulty now setting the URL for this object to be "C:\Users\mccsf\Desktop\file_to_show.svg". I go to the Property pane, and I attempt to adjust the LocationURL property, but it will not accept anything. A warning message with no text pops up whenever I try to set it. I know that on the SE version of FactoryTalk, you can edit the VBA Code and add the URL to a Navigation command, but with the ME version I do not have ability to edit any VBA script.

Ultimately, I am just trying to display an image using an external network URL within the HMI. I already know that the panel has network access to the image I am trying to show, but I have not found a good way of displaying it so I have gone down the road of ActiveX Control objects because the image is an svg file which is supported by a web browser. I also have a bmp version of the file but it is not exactly what I want to show.

If anyone has had any success showing an image using a specific external URL, I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

I did this 4-5 years ago, so it is fuzzy. Heres what I remember

-The panelview had to be the performance type terminal not standard.

-I setup an FTP server on the laptop that I had my images. I used Filezilla

-In filezilla you create a user and then put your folder location under shared folders. Give the user access to read, etc to files in the folder

-I had to change my url on the fly because I was populating with new pics, so I had a string tag for the connection in the runtime.

- URL looked like this ftp://user@laptopIP:Port/Filename.jpg

I hope this helps. If more comes to mind I will post

I think I may have not been exactly clear, but I am already populating a folder with live images so that part I am fine with. I did use FTP with FileZilla in fact. The problem I have is accessing those files from the runtime file. I really just need to know how and where you put your URL exactly because I haven’t found anything that will let me do that.

See pic the URL goes into the connection tag. I was unable to go to a directory on the laptop at that time. Thats why I put the FTP server on the laptop. The Microsoft web browser will browse through the FTP server and read the file.

Browser_Capture.PNG

Oh wow! That’s crazy that you had to put the URL string in the PLC, but I guess it makes sense. This is probably exactly what I needed. Thank you! I’ll let you know if it works

So I was able to get quite far with this actually. I had this completely working on my local environment. But when I ran the new run time file on the actual HMI, the new ME web browser objects were not displaying anything and had diagonal slashes across it. I have attached an image. I believe this may be because I need to install something that Im missing on the local HMI. Please let me know and I can get this done. Thanks!