S7-1200 "User-defined web pages" Functionality question

marko18

Hello all,

I've been working on a siemens PLC system using an S7-1200 and a KTP400 Basic HMI. Essentially this system takes in some setup parameters from the HMI and uses these to begin running the program which controls an output from the PLC. The current software has about 8 different HMI screens that are used for inputting parameters and tracking the outputs of the PLC.

My main question was whether the User-defined web pages could practically replace the function of the HMI in the system? Would all PLC data tags/variables be able to be changed and displayed in the user-defined web pages? I see sections for variable reading/writing in the user-defined web page section of the s7-1200 manual, but I wanted to know if there are any limitations to this.

Thank you

Hello all,

I've been working on a siemens PLC system using an S7-1200 and a KTP400 Basic HMI. Essentially this system takes in some setup parameters from the HMI and uses these to begin running the program which controls an output from the PLC. The current software has about 8 different HMI screens that are used for inputting parameters and tracking the outputs of the PLC.

My main question was whether the User-defined web pages could practically replace the function of the HMI in the system? Would all PLC data tags/variables be able to be changed and displayed in the user-defined web pages? I see sections for variable reading/writing in the user-defined web page section of the s7-1200 manual, but I wanted to know if there are any limitations to this.

Thank you

Hi marco 18,
see here :https://www.dmcinfo.com/latest-thin...m-getting-started-to-html5-user-defined-pages

Hope this help.

popeys

In theory you can do a lot with the user defined webpages. But it takes much more effort to do on webpages what you can easily do with an HMI.

When you have an HMI such as the KTP400, you get some canned functions that can be a big job to create similarly by the webpages. Especially alarms, alarm lists, recipes, text lists and like that.

I have seen some visually neat things done, but the actual HMI functionality is very basic.

One important stumpling block is that you can only load a modified webpage by loading the hardware configuration which in turn requires CPU STOP. That is often a no-go.
In the latest firmware versions of S7-1500 it should be possible to load modified web pages without CPU stop. I dont know about S7-1200, I suspect it is not possible.

An interesting development is that it should be possible to create a WinCC Unified HMI program, and then let TIA generate the equivalent web pages that can be loaded onto the CPU. This is very new, and I havent heard about any real world experience.

As Jesper said, all things you get in a Siemens HMI with no effort like alarms, you have to program inside the Plc for yourself. In my opinion, it only makes sense when you want to sell many similar machines, where the development costs don't care, when you don't need a Siemens HMI (but you have to find a cheaper one).

Or if you want to create features you cannot do with the Siemens HMIs, like real 3d graphic visualizations, drag&drop files onto the webpage to send configuration data, etc. The only limit is the space on the Plc, and expecially for the webserver of the 1200 which is rather slow. You can't realize webapps with hundreds of variables in a single page if you don't acceppt refresh times of 10 seconds and more. There are ways to overcome this limitations, but it even take more effort.