S7-200 PLC PPI cable

johneedw

Dears,
I need the configuration of the PPI cable suitable to connect RS232 PC side to RS 485 PLC(S7-200) side to download a project via MicroWIN software.
I found a circuit diagram for such connection but I'm in suspicious for this circuit attached below which might cause a damage!..
Waiting for kind help !...

circuit.png

Last edited:
Thank you dear sigmadelta,
In fact I need serial PPI cable because I've an old desktop computer fully installed with a licensed Sematic softwares and its USB is broken !..
Please, what is your point of view about the attached circuit diagram ?
Thank you again

Dear Sigmadelta,
I've bought a USB-PPI cable for S7-200 PLC but the problem still the same! no communication between PC and PLC !..
The attached images showing the connection and the communication problem !..
Help me PLZ !..
Thank you very much.

20210712_090409.jpg 20210712_090421.jpg 20210712_090438.jpg 20210712_090510.jpg

Dear Sigmadelta,
I've bought a USB-PPI cable for S7-200 PLC but the problem still the same! no communication between PC and PLC !..
The attached images showing the connection and the communication problem !..
Help me PLZ !..
Thank you very much.

Cant comment on ASAutomations products as they are my competition... but you are trying to use ProfiBus from your first picture and that will never work, watch the video that Roju posted, thats mine and it should work for a standard USB... do NOT select USB if the cable shows a COM port number, if it shows up under Simatic device then you can use USB, post a screen shot of your device manager then we should be able to help.

Thank you for kind help dear friends,
But I've did every thing to set PG/PC comm according to the video you
shared, while the problem remains the same!. No communication !..
Notes:
1- The attached images are showing all setting and the communication failure.
2- I'm using windowsXP since the version I have of Micro/Win software is old.
Waiting for kind help !..
Many thanks

20210713_123404.jpg 20210713_123459.jpg 20210713_123515.jpg 20210713_131011.jpg 20210713_131039.jpg

I dont know about their cable but to me it looks like you have a standard cable NOT a MultiMaster... the MultiMaster cable should show up as a device not a COMX (yours COM3), see the attached two PDF's for the two PPI cables I sell, the setup should be the same even if you are using their cable and not mine.

Have you contacted them about the issues you are having?

Dear Mr.geniusintraining,
Thank you for kind advice,
I understand, since I've a standared PPI cable, I should use (COM1) instead of (COM3) assignment ?..
Also, the standared file say that the MPI cable can be used for S7-200 series too !..
Now I've MPI cable, but I do not know how to use it with S7-200 PLC !..

MPI.jpg

No COM1 is reserved for only a real serial port and will not work with 99% of USB settings so COM3 is what you want to use

Most MPI cables supported PPI (485) so if you have a MPI cable its worth a try... when I wrote that procedure there were only a couple MPI cables and we were the only aftermarket, now there are many and they all have different features so if your cable will work? not sure but its easy to try

We sell a Profibus/MPI/PPI cable but the PPI is limited and I always tell my customers to buy the Multi Master cable its a lot easier to use and is auto sensing

You will use your MPI cable with your 200 CPU the same way you use the PPI cable

Hello Friends,
I'd like to hear from you about this Simatic Field PG with its MPI cable shown in the images attached. Is that suitable to be used with my S7-200 PLC please?..

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

I dont think so... it only has MPI and DP listed, but I also dont think it will hurt anything to try, do you have MicroWin loaded on the Simatic Field PG?