VFD as DC power supply

goghie

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need small power supply that has very small ripple and 250VDC for my workshop. I came to idea to use DC bus from VFD that has 3x230VAC output as it seems cheapest solution. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Instead of a vfd, why not use a dc drive? Ive used abb dcs drives as variable power supplies to feed eddy current dynos before

@BryanG
I know the value of DC bus, but it is easy to set-up to 250VDC.
@g.mccormick
I intended to use VFD as I have one good Mitsubishi on stock :)

I have to admit that the last time I put much effort in to studying VFD circuits was in college, I think Eddison and Westinghouse were still arguing about whether AC or DC was better. If your VFD has a way to control the DC Bus voltage then you have your solution. The ABB drives that I commonly use only have DC Bus Voltage as an output value.

@Australlan
I will control it with High Power Wirewound Precision Rheostat, as it is for testing equipment that has very small load but it needs to have the output of supply as smooth as possible.