Is there any way to copy and past from excel to a UDT in Studio 5000?

Hello. I used to do this all the time in older versions of RSLogix 5000. I could copy and paste from my UDT to excel, make changes, and then copy and paste back into the UDT in RSLogix. However, in newer versions of Studio 5000, I have found that while I can copy and paste from the UDT to Excel fine, it does not work going back anymore into Studio 5000. Now when I paste back into it, it tries to stuff all of the data into the name of just the first item in the UDT. It's very frustrating that this very useful and helpful feature seems to have been removed. Does anyone know of a way around this? Also I would like to note that I am running Studio 5000 in a virtual machine, and it does this still whether I am copying and pasting from Excel running in the VM or outside of the VM.

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks!

If you are wanting to edit a UDT's structure using Excel then this still works in newer version of RsLogix 5000, at least up to V28, you just have to make sure you are offline. Next select the first parameter, via the box on the left, and drag down all the way to you last parameter, or use your down arrow key. Once they have all selected press Ctrl+C and go to Excel and paste the parameters in there. You'll then be free to edit/massage your parameters as you need and when you ready copy them. Before you paste them in RsLogix 5000 i usually delete all parameters, probably don't have to just a habit to ensure nothing duplicates , in the UDT. Then select the top, empty row if you deleted them all, and Ctrl+V.

If you are wanting to edit a UDT's structure using Excel then this still works in newer version of RsLogix 5000, at least up to V28, you just have to make sure you are offline. Next select the first parameter, via the box on the left, and drag down all the way to you last parameter, or use your down arrow key. Once they have all selected press Ctrl+C and go to Excel and paste the parameters in there. You'll then be free to edit/massage your parameters as you need and when you ready copy them. Before you paste them in RsLogix 5000 i usually delete all parameters, probably don't have to just a habit to ensure nothing duplicates , in the UDT. Then select the top, empty row if you deleted them all, and Ctrl+V.

It didn't work at first, but I actually have been trying to use LibreOffice Calc in my VM instead of Excel. I figured that that would work, but it wasn't using your method. For kicks I decided to try Excel instead, and now it works! Thanks!

🔨 Doesn't seem to work in V32

I try to paste it back in and 1 of 2 things happens.
1. Nothing
2. I tries to paste all of it into the first Member name

Yes I am a thread Necro sue me :rolleyes:

My workaround for this is to use an Excel spreadsheet that downloads via OPC to the PLC you are working on. If it is an offline copy of the program, I export the routine to a running emulator then re-import the routine after downloading via Excel. Goes pretty quick if you are handy with Excel.

Doesn't seem to work in V32

I try to paste it back in and 1 of 2 things happens.
1. Nothing
2. I tries to paste all of it into the first Member name

Yes I am a thread Necro sue me

Try to use an older Studio 5000 version then V32. Create the UDT, copy and paste from excel, then export UDT and import in the V32 project.
Does somebody know if it is a V32 bug?
Thanks.