WinCC Flex 2005, SP1- Editing file, then downloading.. version compatibility question

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm continuing my Siemens education. I need some help with compatibility details.

My customer has a machine that was made by a company no longer in business. I was able to email a programmer who worked for that company when they installed the machine at my customer's plant. I want to make some edits to the HMI to make it easier to use, and easier to train new employees. He said the program file is saved on the HMI, and the box is checked for being able to transfer the HMI file back to the laptop. The part that I'm questioning is when he said I would need the WinCC version it was programmed with.

As you see on the pic, it was WinCC Flexible 2005, SP1. My laptop has WinCC Flexible Advanced 2007, Build v1.2.0.0_1.55.0.1., which is on Windows XP. My customer has version 2008, SP5 on a Siemens Field Service PG, running Windows 7. I tried calling tech support to see if I'm able to get a 14-day version of that legacy WinCC, but they would have to charge me money to even ask that question.

What do you guys know about compatibility for uploading, then downloading back to the HMI. If I need the same version, do you know how I would get a working copy of that version? As you see, it's also integrated into a Step 7 project. Am I correct in thinking I can edit the file without it being integrated into Step 7? (My version is 5.5) I'm also wondering about backing up the HMI, so if I mess things up, I could restore the un-edited version.

Vena HMI Version.png

Have you tried opening the file? I don't think there would be a problem with your 2007 version. However, the file would be converted to a 2007 version. Second possible issue is the hardware. When you try to download, the HMI will either want its firmware to be updated or it's possible that the hardware is not compatible with newer software.

Agre with kbpatton.
If you manage to get the backup from the panel, then it is definitely possible to migrate the program to 2008 SP5.
Unless the panel is special or very old (x70) then you should be able to download the migrated and modified program; you will be prompted to do an OS Update which should start automatically. After the OS Update, the runtime program with the modifications can be loaded.

What type of panel exactly ? Type no as printed on the rear of the panel.

First, I recommend using Prosave to do a backup - which is free, and installed on your computer if you have WinCC flexible. You can restore that file at anytime if necessary.

Link to Prosave, if you do not have it installed:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/10347815/servicetool-simatic-prosave?dti=0&lc=en-WW

Then you can download a trial version of WinCC flexible 2008 SP5 from here (it includes Prosave too):

https://support.industry.siemens.co...c-flexible-2008-trial-download?dti=0&lc=en-US

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, guys. I schedule this customer for Mondays and Thursdays, unless someone else has an urgent need (and my Siemens customer doesn't). It's Monday, so I'm back there today.

I'm still waiting for a lull in that side of the plant so I can log off of the runtime software and check the panel's "Documents" folder for the file I was told was stored in the HMI's memory. This is a MP277 (see pic.). The changes I'm hoping to make are not urgent, so I'm being overly careful not to make a mistake that would create downtime. This is also giving me time to fill some of the gaps in my knowledge of Siemens systems.

I do have Prosave on my laptop, as well as the plant's laptop. So I will save the program before doing anything, when that time comes. My question: What if I upload the file, make the changes, find that the changes require to update the HMI's firmware, and then there's a glitch after updating the firmware that keeps the HMI from operating correctly with the PLC (and the older file on the PLC). If I try to revert back to the original file, won't I have trouble running it on the updated firmware? It's lack of experience with these questions that makes me hesitate. Do you have any thoughts to share?

I have one other idea, that I'll post on a separate post because of a picture that goes along with it. As far as this post, here is the back of the installed MP277:

MP277.png

My other thought is this: I own a MP377. This HMI was my first exposure to Siemens, and got me started with both Step 7/Simatic Mgr. and WinCC. They actually used WinAC software on this HMI for the PLC... which was only needed to do some math for scaling and other calculations for the Profibus-connected ACS800 drives. It was installed on a machine that I used to troubleshoot. We were having trouble with obsolete components, so my customer asked me redo the machine controls with new components. I was much more comfortable with AB, so the new controls were based on AB. Then, like always, I asked if I could take the old equipment with me to learn with.

So I own this MP377. (see pic)

I'm wondering if it would be plausible to download the upgrades onto the MP377 and get it to work. Then, if there is trouble, I could put the old MP277 back and they could carry-on like always. The 277 is 10", and the 377 is 12", but when I compare the casings, the physical size of the cutout is exactly the same for each. What are your thoughts? Do you think it would work? Is there a catch that I don't see?

MP377.png